Moringa Olifera

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
... and I want to come to your house to cook them! Beautiful Grenada in West Indies! : )

You're welcome anytime! Not many people have heard of Grenada, but it's a beautiful little gem.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Will said:
Yellow Turtle, I don't use the Mazuri so much at all. I am confused about what it is to some extent. I was given a small bag and that looks like a yellow dog food in size and shape, then recently on an LLL reptile ad, the image on the plastic bag looks like a pellet. Either way it is not well received by my tortoises. Fed as whole moistened piece or mashed up and mixed into greens, they don't seem to care for it.

I do infuse much chopped fresh grass or wetted dry grass into all salads, and that seems to be mission critical to the proper absorption of all nutrients. If you don't see whole undigested bits of grass in the feces, there is not enough grass in the diet, no matter the species or age/size. That is a eat it or starve salad (tough love) ingredient for my animals. Leaves with big veins like mulberry and hibiscus do this as well, I do not yet have experience with the topic trees' leaves to know how that will "come through".

The rice hulls in the ZooMed and Mazuri don't qualify as long fiber. They better approximate seeds as roughage for digestion processes, not long fiber.

Will

I agree very much with you regarding diet, Will. I let my torts starve so they are forced to have grass. For mazuri, I mix them with hays before serving them. I'm glad pieces of information like this moringa leaf coming into this forum. It serves me well to add another kind of diet for my torts.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Will said:
Yellow Turtle, I don't use the Mazuri so much at all. I am confused about what it is to some extent. I was given a small bag and that looks like a yellow dog food in size and shape, then recently on an LLL reptile ad, the image on the plastic bag looks like a pellet. Either way it is not well received by my tortoises. Fed as whole moistened piece or mashed up and mixed into greens, they don't seem to care for it.

I do infuse much chopped fresh grass or wetted dry grass into all salads, and that seems to be mission critical to the proper absorption of all nutrients. If you don't see whole undigested bits of grass in the feces, there is not enough grass in the diet, no matter the species or age/size. That is a eat it or starve salad (tough love) ingredient for my animals. Leaves with big veins like mulberry and hibiscus do this as well, I do not yet have experience with the topic trees' leaves to know how that will "come through".

The rice hulls in the ZooMed and Mazuri don't qualify as long fiber. They better approximate seeds as roughage for digestion processes, not long fiber.

Will

Great information Will. Thank you. : )

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Looks like I forgot to post the moringa photo! Oh Well, I did however offer some of this plant to my juv. aldabra tortoise today and the animal really scarfed it down without hesitation. This tort has been a somewhat picky eater, so it's good to know it's a preferred menu item. (Just to clarify; this aldabra tort really avoids grass at all costs, really only wants the weeds and greens. I can trick it my mixing it into fav. foods, but it will not eat any grasses by itself.)
Anyone else offer moringa with any success.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of my seedlings died. I'll order more in the Spring.

Seadation

10 Year Member!
I have 10 6-8 inch seedlings available. I'm in South Florida if anyone is interested shoot me a PM.