Morla the Stray Sulcuta

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I found Morla on Tuesday of this week while hiking in a local state park. I was walking around the perimeter of a pond photographing wildlife, and hear a promising rustle in the tall grasses. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be not a turtle, frog, or snake, but a TORTOISE!

I have had a recent influx of strays and wildlife patients (I do both exotics rescue and wildlife rehab), so I was desperately hoping I was mistaking this obvious tortoise for some obscure tortoise-looking species I'd never heard of that lives in NY. No such luck. My fiance was very exhasperated when I made him come down and confirm that it was a sulcuta and that my denial didn't change that fact.

I'm not sure what I'd like to do with Morla yet. I'd love to keep her IF I move down south this year as planned. Ok "love to" isn't the best word - I'm nervous about what a difficult species this is to care for. But if I don't move, I think I'll find her a rescue, as I just don't think I'll be able to give her the care she needs in NY.

Here is Morla enjoying some time in my yard:
omnomnom.jpg

tortoise1.jpg

tortoise2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like she's got an irregular scute pattern on her carapace...kinda' gives her a little "personality" that's all her own! I hope you keep her, but if you ever want to give her up, keep in mind the Turtle Rescue of Long Island. Julie McGuire is good with finding homes for sulcatas. She places them all in southern states. Sometimes her husband even drives them south to their new home. Take a look at her web site:

http://turtlerescues.com/

gyang333

5 Year Member
I'm not sure about the rules in a US state park, but can you just take an animal from it willy nilly? Though obviously, I'm going to assume you'll give it better care/find better care for it than had you let it continue wandering around in a NY state park.

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Alabama
You can't take native wildlife from a state park "willy nilly," but a non-native species is not protected under any conservation laws (well unless they are CITES or something, but even then removing it from a non-native habitat because it was a stray animal wouldn't be prohibited). Indeed, any park official would have removed it themselves since it should not be there.

And thanks for the link! I actually have their contact info jotted down; I've donated to them in the past and if I find I can't keep her, I'll def keep them in mind. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Please don't think you can't keep her in NY. I know they all do better in hot weather and the Southern states, but I keep Bob in Oregon where it rains continually and snows and the weather for 7 months is generally ugly, but Bob has adjusted to living here and he comes and goes rain sleet or snow. He is set up in a great insulated heated shed with a Trex 260 watt basking light and a doggie door. I open it every morning around 9:30 and sometimes he is at the door raring to go out and sometimes he's still sleeping and doesn't go out until later. If it's cold and raining he grazes a bit then goes back in under his light and he will do that all day. So maybe he would do better in Arizona but try to tell him that as he is sitting on my lap in the middle of his yard. He follows me around and totally pays attention to me when I am in his yard. When he can see me up on my deck he stops whatever is is doing and just watches me. He's like a hard 80 pound dog...And I love him dearly, I think he feels the same about me as I see how he acts towards me then I watch him with strangers and while he puts up with them he doesn't follow them or voluntarily sit on their lap...just my opinion here, I don't think Bob would be better in warmer weather, I think he loves living with me just fine...:D and she would love living with you too. poor little thing, you know her previous keeper dumped her off in that park. Crap like that pisses me off. think about how cold she was at night and how scared she was. She's just little too...grrr!

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Alabama
Oh trust me, I'd love to be her lifelong home! I'm just not sure I could afford, at this juncture, building her a shed and properly heating it for the duration of the very long winters we have here. On the other hand, if we move, we're moving to a place that already has a tortoise yard and several sheds on the property, one of which could definitely be converted for the brief and mild winters they have where we'd be going. Plus I'd be moving to a much better paying job!

Basically, I have to consider - husbandry-wise - what is best for her. If my limits as a caregiver can not rise to those expectations, she will definitely be better off with a more qualified individual - and trust that I will hunt relentlessly for only the best possible home! But personally I'm really hoping that I get to keep her, because she's already winning me over.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, I think Morla is a beauty and so lucky that she walked out of her hiding place as you were coming by...serendipity for sure. ;)

Now she has a future. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RandomWiktor said:
But personally I'm really hoping that I get to keep her, because she's already winning me over.

Yep. That's what sulcatas do. What is it about them...?

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
Tom said:
RandomWiktor said:
But personally I'm really hoping that I get to keep her, because she's already winning me over.

Yep. That's what sulcatas do. What is it about them...?

Mind control powers. Sulcatas who stare at humans!

Glad you rescued her from the park :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've noticed that people who say how destructive sulc's are, but at the same time they are usually smiling when they say it.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Sulcatas are so pretty! I don't have room for one...I envy those that have them! I love all my torts and turts, but I think sulcatas are the most beautiful tortoises out there! How big is Morla? Is there anyway you could do temporary housing till you can get the funds to build something like Maggie3fan did with Bob? I'm always surprised about the types of enclosures people can make with whatever income or space they have!

As far as someone dumping her yeah I agree.... pisses me off also! How hard is it to place an add in a free newspaper or craigslist and interview some people and find her a good home! Just a little effort!!! See our Torts are our kids...but some people believe their pets are just an animal and don't care! I say if you don't have a passion for your pet don't even bother getting one.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am in NJ and have a few connections here. She doesn't look too big yet. About the size of my smallest. Let me know if I can help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.