Moss

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
Hello. I am planning on putting my tortoise in my greenhouse over this winter. I thought about painting a "moss slurry" on the stone surfaces to work as an all natural insulation. Does anyone know if moss (not sphagnum) is safe tor sulcatas to eat? thanks.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hello. I am planning on putting my tortoise in my greenhouse over this winter. I thought about painting a "moss slurry" on the stone surfaces to work as an all natural insulation. Does anyone know if moss (not sphagnum) is safe tor sulcatas to eat? thanks.
I like your creative thought process, but as an avid moss gardener, I have some inconvenient truths to share. Propagating moss from a slurry takes 6-8 weeks to see any cultivation results. Add to that getting any moss to grow large/thick enough to insulate surfaces over the winter is highly unlikely. Mosses are very slow growers compared to flowering plants. However, it seems that ingestion/impaction is also highly unlikely.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I like your creative thought process, but as an avid moss gardener, I have some inconvenient truths to share. Propagating moss from a slurry takes 6-8 weeks to see any cultivation results. Add to that getting any moss to grow large/thick enough to insulate surfaces over the winter is highly unlikely. Mosses are very slow growers compared to flowering plants. However, it seems that ingestion/impaction is also highly unlikely.
Hey Mrs. Jennifer, thanks for your thoughtful response to this query. I hope it has been of some use to the enquirer, although we have not yet received an acknowledgement of your advice.