Moth problem from indoor Russian tortoise enclosure.

JoeyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
Has anyone ever experienced a moth problem with their indoor enclosures.

I have a Russian tortoise and was planning to make an outdoor enclosure within the next couple weeks but currently have him in his indoor enclosure which has a coco coir substrate along with some hay. I’m going to clean out his indoor enclosure and replace the substrate for now with new dirt but I as wondering if anyone has experience issues with a moth infestation and what tips you can maybe provide to avoid it in the future?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
So you use moss if you do that’s ok I don’t use it because if your tortoise actually eats some they could get sick but if he has a little nibbles once or twice will not hurt him but me personally only use coconut coir like you do I just now miss can sometimes be dangerous if you could do a search what types of moss are bad for tortoises than you will se which are good and not 🙃😃

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Oh I’m so sorry I thought you said moss man I’m stupid 😂 but I now they have moth traps I can send you a link

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hay isn't recommended for tortoise enclousure, since it is too dusty when dry and gets moldy when wet. There is no reason to have any hay, especially as Russians aren't hay eaters. I would start by removing the hay.

I haven't had any problems with insects in my tortoise enclosures, but I will try to tag some people to see if they have advice on this.

@wellington @Tom @Ray--Opo @Alex and the Redfoot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't no anything about moths in substrate. However I agree you need to replace the hay anyway and that should get rid of them.

Reactions: Ink

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So you use moss if you do that’s ok I don’t use it because if your tortoise actually eats some they could get sick but if he has a little nibbles once or twice will not hurt him but me personally only use coconut coir like you do I just now miss can sometimes be dangerous if you could do a search what types of moss are bad for tortoises than you will se which are good and not 🙃😃
No moss is good to use. Causes impaction and can cause entanglement.
Btw, your posts are hard to read. If you use punctuations, it would read much easier.