Mother Fern?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Anybody have any experience with mother fern, or Asplenium bulbiferum, either for feeding or planted in enclosures? Well aware of tortoise table. Looking for any personal experience. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read that all ferns were toxic, but I was recently corrected and taught the one type wasn't. Boston fern if I recall correctly. This would leave me to believe that any other type of fern is still considered toxic, even though I don't have personal experience with Mother fern.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
According to wikipedia the fronds can be eaten like a vegetable by humans. The tender new growth fiddle heads on other ferns are safe to eat also. I don't know about Boston Fern but Boston Ivy is safe but none of my tortoises are crazy about it.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yup. Was hoping someone would have had experience feeding it, so ill stay away. My understanding is that many ferns are carcinogenic, but many haven't been studied. Boston fern may be well understood because it is so common as an indoor plant. Hopefully mother fern is looked into some day soon. Thanks everyone

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
Nephrolepis exaltata - boston swordfern, is a hybrid of the wild variety that isn't as pretty. It's not a fern but a bracken, and when ferns can't be eaten, some bracken is edible even for humans.