moving and have a question

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
ok i'm right in the middle of a move and it's going a little slower due to not owning a truck, my redfoot who is 5 months old has a closed chamber about 74 inches long and 33-34 wide the front is real glass so i have to be careful with it and due to not owning a truck it's going to take me a week maybe more to get the enclosure over to the new house i was wondering if there would be any problems with switching the tort back to his storage tote for a couple weeks until i could get his enclosure over to the new place his heating and temps and humidity would be the exact same just a smaller enclosure i'm worried about the tort maybe becoming shocked from going from a huge space to a smaller space is that possible??

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
I just did this myself a couple weeks ago. Tortellini camped out in a travel tote for about three days before I got her enclosure back up and running. She was a little stressed for the first hour but once she was used to it she pretty much slept whenever she was in her tote. She got a good soak every day in the bathtub for this period to make sure she stayed hydrated and she'd get an hour or two to stretch her legs and eat some food. She wasn't thrilled with the transition but tolerated it surprisingly well and was pretty excited to explore her "new" enclosure when it was up and running again. Good luck with your move, here's hoping it all goes smoothly!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just made a move myself. I had to put my torts in a smaller enclosure until I can get their more permanent winter homes built. I do let mine outside to roam the yard when possible. But for now, they are in smaller enclosures then they are used too. All I can say, is they are doing fine. Not eating as much as they used too, but other then that, they seem just fine. I would try to make it as quick of a turn around as possible and get him outside when it is nice out for some more temporary larger room, but they seem to adjust pretty well.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I just made a move myself. I had to put my torts in a smaller enclosure until I can get their more permanent winter homes built. I do let mine outside to roam the yard when possible. But for now, they are in smaller enclosures then they are used too. All I can say, is they are doing fine. Not eating as much as they used too, but other then that, they seem just fine. I would try to make it as quick of a turn around as possible and get him outside when it is nice out for some more temporary larger room, but they seem to adjust pretty well.

the yard where i'm going isn't quite tort proof yet i would need a truck to get the stuff to tort proof it the uvb and basking/heat would all be the same still it's just a matter of smaller space for a week or two if i could i would rent a uhaul just to move the enclosure but i also have a wedding to pay for in 2 months lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, the tortoise probably will be stressed out, but will soon get over it. You have to do what you have to do.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Torts are a lot more sturdy than people give them credit for. He will be fine set up in a temp enclosure. Afterall, what are your other choices? He may not like it, but he will, as Yvonne said, get over it.

M

Maggie Cummings

When I moved from Calif to Corvallis I brought about 40 turtles and tortoises with me. I drove alone and mostly unloaded the truck alone, then got the flu real bad so many of my animals lived in cardboard boxes for about a week.Stressed? yes, harmed? no. I didn't like to do it that way, but stuff happens and you and they have to adapt. You staying in Southern Oregon?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
When I moved from Calif to Corvallis I brought about 40 turtles and tortoises with me. I drove alone and mostly unloaded the truck alone, then got the flu real bad so many of my animals lived in cardboard boxes for about a week.Stressed? yes, harmed? no. I didn't like to do it that way, but stuff happens and you and they have to adapt. You staying in Southern Oregon?

yes i am staying in southern Oregon just moving from white city to medford into a much bigger house with a nice HUGE backyard and me and my fiance will each have reptile room lol or 1 tort room and one snake room i should say

M

Maggie Cummings

yes i am staying in southern Oregon just moving from white city to medford into a much bigger house with a nice HUGE backyard and me and my fiance will each have reptile room lol or 1 tort room and one snake room i should say
That sounds kewl!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Change the door locks after you move in...:)

i already went and bough new door locks lol last thing i want is to come home and find someone in my house or find something missing

they've already tried to get me once by adding 300 dollars to the deposit at the last second as i was signing the papers.