Moving to Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
We are thinking about moving to Florida next spring. I know that is still a year away but this is a big decision and needs serious thought. I am looking for suggestions on if you think this would be a good idea. Everyone says they want to live in Florida, but do they really? I know my Sulcata would approve the idea.:) What about the humans though? Right now we live in KY. Reasons we want to move to FL is of course for the ocean. Also, no cold winters like we have right now. We are just not snow people. Is it weird having Christmas with it hot outside? I guess to the natives, that is all you've ever known so it wouldn't be weird. I've heard the air down there is really beneficial for allergy sufferers. I have small children that are not in school yet so we would not be uprooting them from their schools. What parts of FL would you recommend? I prefer the Gulf but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't live in Florida. I used to be one of those that said I would like too. However, I now don't know if I would want to. Yes, the weather is nice, when it is nice. The part that has changed my mind, the hurricanes. They seem to get so many more then way back when. Even though I hate the cold and snow, and we get more then you, snow has never destroyed my house. I have never had to evacuate my home and being so close to the downtown Chicago and Lake Michigan, I don't even worry about tornadoes. So, those are the only things I can help you with, is to think about the bad things they do have and if you can live with that. Then go for it or not:) Good Luck.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I would not want to live in Florida too humid for me. The only way I would live there is if moved a few miles from the beach.

Jd3

5 Year Member
I loved in Florida for a year. There is a reason I don't still live there. Cost of living sucks. Traffic sucks. Schools suck. They are all overcrowded and many are using trailers to fill in, but they are even twenty years old.

Weather is bs. Winters aren't hot. Rains a ton. Summers in Tampa we got daily rains of half an inch but it still remained humid as hell and even at 2 am it is miserable.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
We live in Florida and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. We've been here 5 years. We live about 30 Miles from Orlando and LOVE it. We're an hour from the beach - just far enough away that when Hurricanes come we're at the highest ground so all we get is strong winds. Mosquitoes only come for a few weeks 2X a year, During the Summer there is Humidity (plus it rains most afternoons but ONLY DURING the summer months) - but to me it beats 9 months of snow (which I lived in all my life). The winters are a balming 70 - 80. And we have kids and LOVE living here for them. NO shortage of things to do all year. They have wonderful Florida resident passes for the parks - which we go to all the time (Disney, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens...), and during the hot summer months we live at the beach, or waterparks. Oh yah, the tortoises LOVE it here ;) We have friends with Sulcatas and many owners around here appreciate it. There are lots of tortoises wild around here too. Just last week I went to a farm and it was raining - so I saw a tortoise drinking from the run-off...he just looked at me and went back into the tree area. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me. Christy

Status
Not open for further replies.