moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
My husband is active duty military. Next year he will be up for orders. IT'S VERY EARLY IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW. VERY EARLY. But if he were to choose now, our choices would be Everett, WA; Pearl Harbor, HI, or stay in San Diego. But if he stayed in SD, it's not a great career move. So between Pearl Harbor and Everett, which would be easier to care for a sulcata? I've heard, but not sure, that for dogs & cats there is a 90 day quarantine in Hawaii. Not sure if we'd be able to ship torts and turts. There is no way I would have my dogs and cats quarantined for that long, either. We would all go stir crazy. But, as I said, I'm not sure on that.

So how difficult would it be to maintain a sully in either place? I was born and raised in San Diego, spent only 3 yrs in Virginia (without tortoises and turtles). So this is the only place I know how to raise and care for animals.

M

Maggie Cummings

My first thought would be that Hawaii would be warm and humid all the time. So in a tort sense Hawaii would probably be better. I live in Corvallis Oregon with much the same weather as Everett different but much the same. I am about 200 miles from Everett. Right now it has been raining pretty steady for 7 days. It's very wet and not much good for tortoises. But I have 27 of them and they seem to be happy active and healthy. If I can help you in any way be sure to let me know. I figure this isn't much help. Tortoises CAN live in the Pacific North West...it just takes some work

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Would you be able to afford a large plot of land in either place? I'm very near Everett, and you'd need a large shed or barn for Ralph for about 8 months out of the year nearly full time. Maggie can probably give the best advice about that though. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hawaii is very exspensive, so you would have to factor that into your desicion. I love hawaii and plan to go there as often as possibel but the weaher and humidity makes it ideal for most tort species, it is just cost prohibitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.