Mr. Bubbles neue Enclosure (yes, again :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanni

5 Year Member
After Mr. Bubbles was feeling quite home in his old enclosure for the last couple of months, I had to decide to upsize again quite soon. He seemed to be not moving around anymore and being just miserable. The temperature was just way to high in the "cold spot", only at night with out the lamps on, it cooled down a bit and I was worried, he would dehydrate quite soon, with that heat.
So I planned my first "tortoisetable". Its my first try and I already am working on the update in my head...but I have to wait till my husband is a bit forgetting about this first one... lol. He was the one building it, since winter is not good for my joints and I was in to much pain because of that. But here now Mr. Bubbles new enclosure (Plants are to come, I am not sure, which one to take. Would like to find a Bromaliad to add and a Spider Plant. I am working on that one. And the Lining I have to redo eventually again...

Temperatures at the basking side are about 90 and at the cold side are about 66 as a lowest. I did make a big mistake and did not know about how much humidity those little guys need, so I did not wet the substrate or something like that so far. I started that now and did start a humidifier in this room, so that the humidity level at the moment in the basking area is at 23 %. Doc said, it should be between 30 - 50? Rather more then less?
So I am open for tips and tricks from you, concerning not only the humidity level, but also other things.
OH, when I soak Mr. Bubbles, I have him in his waterbowl, which I fill with a bit of warm water too, so its nice and cozy and I have the basking light over it (I have two basking lights, a less strong and a strong one in the basking part of the box) The UVB Light is a 10.0 and is right there in the corner with the food.

The enclosure with Mr. Bubbles exploring...
IMG_6280_zpsba1cea1d.jpg

My little cutie!
IMG_6278_zps7626815b.jpg

Have a great evening everybody.

Nanje

1 Little Hermann - Mr. Bubbles
1 SpanielBordercolliesweetie - Agnes
Best hubby of the world and
2 wonderful kids (who actually bought the tortoise... now its somehow mine...lucky me!!! ::D)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Oh goodness, what a cutie! You must post more pictures sometime.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
To get the humidity up you're going to probably have to cover part of it, maybe get a piece of plexi glass cut??? Looks really good though!

nanni

5 Year Member
Yes, its repti bark - mixed with bits of coco coir stuff. I wish, I could build the whole room into a tortoise haven and get a few more...Especially when he sits in the waterbowl and soaks and eats parallel or wipes his face with his paws. So cute. Could watch him at all the time. ;).
And yes, its very much space still and I am working on setting up a plant area, to put in some live plants. Want to have spider plant and co in there. Maybe a aloe? Or bromeliad? I hope I find something fitting.
Then I will try to get some kind of lid set up. But the problem is my lights... how would I be able to get a plexi glass combined with the lights? And now - that the humidity levels are up - at least a stable 20 Percent... :(, kept spraying the bark today though - the temperature is down... Is a 88 - 90 still ok? Or to cold?

I would appreciate help with ideas for the lid closer of the box and for planting ideas. I do not want to get artificial stuff in, since he would def. try to eat it... but want to have healthy real plants in there... any ideas?
Thank you!
Nanni

Status
Not open for further replies.