Mud wallow

Alena

5 Year Member
How long should I let a mud wallow go before filling it in ? My Mep and Mee are loving their mud wallow. We have been getting rain every day lately. We are in south Louisiana . I'm concerned about them sitting in it without changing the water, which is impossible to do . I hate to stress them out but their health comes first. There is fresh clean water, however; the mud wallow is their favorite. Any help on this subject would greatly be appreciated. Thank you, Alena.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh heck - you can't stress out a Manouria. Just move them out of there and clean it out. No big deal.

I'd just move the tortoise then take a broom and sweep out the dirty water. Or you can 'net' out the poops and then sweep out the dirty water.

I wouldn't fill it in unless the weather is getting too cold for them to be sitting in water.

Alena

5 Year Member
Oh heck - you can't stress out a Manouria. Just move them out of there and clean it out. No big deal.

I'd just move the tortoise then take a broom and sweep out the dirty water. Or you can 'net' out the poops and then sweep out the dirty water.

I wouldn't fill it in unless the weather is getting too cold for them to be sitting in water.
Thank you Yvonne G.

Their mud wallow did dried up at some point , however; fills in with rain water a couple of days after. Some days the mud is very thick . Both are removed from the mud every evening, rinsed clean, carried to their inside enclosures. Coyotes and racoons roam our city. Too many trees have been knocked down in order to build more subdivisions. Neighbors are being approached by coyotes while walking their pets in the evenings.

Our plans are to figure out the best way to keep them outside safe and comfortable. They grew so much this summer. All the rain really makes it difficult to plan a project here.