Mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mow'scaretaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Does anyone use mulch for their torts? I have a RF and I know you have to keep the humidity up pretty high, I tried sphagnum moss, but he'd go in and out of his water and it was a HUGE mess. Any other suggestions? The mulch seems to be working well, but its somewhat inconvinent to have to go in so frequently to spray it. :) I'm going to make an automatic sprayer that I found on the forum, just wondering if someone uses anything else?

Thanks!
~Trina

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My substrat for my forest torts (RFs, MEPs, and Homes) is a mix of hardwood mulch and humus about fifty/fifty with sphagnum moss in hides. I have been using this sort of substrat for years. It is all organic, no added color, and cheap. Keep in mind I live in the Midwest and this type of mulch and humus may not be easily gotten in other areas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love cypress mulch for tortoises. I have several baby box turtles right now in a plastic tote that is raised on one end. I keep water in it so that they are always able to hydrate. The upper end is moist but not wet, and the lower end is water. The cypress mulch doesn't get sour or moldy. Love that stuff.

babies-1.jpg

There's a half log up on the high side where they can hide and not be in the water, but most of them all dig down and hide in the water. Sometimes even their heads are under water.

Yvonne

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Not to be a buzzkill, but is Cypress a conifer? If so, does it have fumes or resin that can hurt the torts?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Cypress is a conifer but is very suitable for herps as it does not give off fumes. I use as a substrat for my bluetongue skinks but not torts (cost).

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We use bed a beast (pulverized coconut husks). However, we have a home-made automatic sprinkler that sprays them 3 times a day. It has worked well. It does get tracked through their water, but we change that out daily. We have not been able to find cypress mulch in bulk. We have only been able to get it through Petco in small bags and it is rather costly. We do use it with all our young Pyxis torts. We use the bed a beast and then sprinkle a layer of the cypress over the top. The adult Pyxis have bed a beast with an auto sprinkler as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't find it in bulk either. I guess its too costly for the mfg's to ship to the west coast. But I don't need much for my little guys, so I buy the small bags from Petsmart.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.