multi level

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay area, California
I would like input on my enclosure idea.

I was going to take a grey colored 55 gallon plastic container (from what I read, see-through is not good for Tortoises) and have the tortoise "house" on the bottom part, where it will be nice and dark, and on the top level, I'd have the basking spot, along with some vegetation and the like. Just wondering if this would be a good idea.
The Tortoise I am probably getting is a Hermanns.

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
Thalatte said:
What would you make the second level out of?

Probably a smaller plastic container.
I wanted to make a hidebox under the substrate in the bottom one, with a ramp (with rails) going to the upper tier.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
And what is the highest temperature that your tort needs?

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
From what I read, they can handle most temperatures, but do need a basking spot of 95 degrees. So I guess just put one UVB over the basking spot

Thalatte

5 Year Member
The plastic containers should hold up to the heat as long as the light doesn't come in direct contact with them.
That being said the configuration will work and should be fine.
Well and you tort is small enough that these size containers will give him ample room to roam?

You would need either a MVB unit or a UVB bulb and heat bulb in order to get the 95degrees. Don't know if that's what you meant but wanted to make sure.

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
Thalatte said:
The plastic containers should hold up to the heat as long as the light doesn't come in direct contact with them.
That being said the configuration will work and should be fine.
Well and you tort is small enough that these size containers will give him ample room to roam?

You would need either a MVB unit or a UVB bulb and heat bulb in order to get the 95degrees. Don't know if that's what you meant but wanted to make sure.

Can you recommend a light fixture? I looked on Amazon, but not sure which would be best.

Overall, he will have (approx) combined 80x40 inch enclosure. I also talked my landlord into letting me use the backyard a bit, so he can eat all the dandelions he wants!
Tort is currently 2 inches, but they grow to 6-9 inches, so I think that space should suffice. Hopefully by the time he is older, we will have moved to a bigger house.

Status
Not open for further replies.