Multiple Males enhance Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazoa

5 Year Member
Here you can see one of my smaller males taking in a few tips so he might have some success when he steps up to the plate. It's amazing they really don't fight one another much over the females but I have a friend who breeds the big Phayrei (Black Mt. Tortoises). Those guys are equipped with huge gullars and will fight , bite and flip one another over. I have not seen any of that with my redfoots. Richard

360breeding-med.jpg

amazoa

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Nice looking torts. Hope you, well he, has success in breeding:)
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The one on top is her usual mate. The big female laid 6 eggs on July 25 and 8 eggs on October 7th. So I'm expecting the 6 laid in July to sart hatching near the end of this month. I'll shoot some pics to the forum as that transpires. Usually every year she will lay about once every 40 days July - May....Believe me I know I'm lucky to own such a productive female. Richard

P9105491ab.jpg
[/img]

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
Love your thread title. And I just wanted to agree; that has always been my experience LOL.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
There is often a "voyer" present :D

FYI; I had to devide my "cherryherd" into two groups, since one of my males just cant stand other males. I have considered to sell him, but he's just so beautiful that I have to keep him... He has two females in his group, and I have tried several times to unite my two groups again without success. I just cant stand the sight of him biting the other males at the same spot on their legs fifty times in a row :(

Luvly torts by the way !

Bryan

10 Year Member!
amazoa said:
Here you can see one of my smaller males taking in a few tips so he might have some success when he steps up to the plate. It's amazing they really don't fight one another much over the females but I have a friend who breeds the big Phayrei (Black Mt. Tortoises). Those guys are equipped with huge gullars and will fight , bite and flip one another over. I have not seen any of that with my redfoots. Richard

What ratio do you keep Richard?

Status
Not open for further replies.