Multiple timer setting for lights?

WillB

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
Hi everyone,

I am wondering has anyone here tried having different light schedules for their indoor tortoises? i.e. turning on the light at different times for different days.

I am currently using a single timer from 7AM-7:30PM everyday that turns on the enclosure lights (basking bulb & LED light) while the UVB turns on every afternoon between 1:30-3:00 PM.

Due to a new job commitment I may have to leave at 6AM to work 2 days a week in the future. I would then only be able to soak him around 5:30AM. I am thinking of turning the lights on early (6AM-6:30PM) the 2 days that I leave early so as to not soak him then put him back into the un-lit enclosure. I have a 1.5mo old Indian star hatchling that I soak daily. Would the earlier schedule disrupt the tortoise's circadian rhythm or sleep schedule(if they have one)?

I'd like to hear if anyone on the forum has done something like this before and their experience with it.

Thanks and merry Xmas everyone!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As long as you can simulate a 12 hour day and 12 hour night cycle. It doesn't matter what time it actually is.
However, I'd change it for everyday. So that it will be the same each day again. All earlier.

Your tortoise will quickly get used to the new schedule

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,

I am wondering has anyone here tried having different light schedules for their indoor tortoises? i.e. turning on the light at different times for different days.

I am currently using a single timer from 7AM-7:30PM everyday that turns on the enclosure lights (basking bulb & LED light) while the UVB turns on every afternoon between 1:30-3:00 PM.

Due to a new job commitment I may have to leave at 6AM to work 2 days a week in the future. I would then only be able to soak him around 5:30AM. I am thinking of turning the lights on early (6AM-6:30PM) the 2 days that I leave early so as to not soak him then put him back into the un-lit enclosure. I have a 1.5mo old Indian star hatchling that I soak daily. Would the earlier schedule disrupt the tortoise's circadian rhythm or sleep schedule(if they have one)?

I'd like to hear if anyone on the forum has done something like this before and their experience with it.

Thanks and merry Xmas everyone!
I would leave things as they are and soak when you can. The "sunrise" and "sunset" should not be happening at different times throughout a week. I would not want to soak a tortoise that early in the morning when they aren't even up and awake yet.

WillB

New York City
I see, thank you Zeropilot and Tom! Guess maintaining a consistent schedule is the important part. I'll ask my wife to see if she can help soak on those days to keep the same schedule. If not I'll switch all the lights to an earlier schedule. Appreciate it.