Mushrooms Grew in Enclosure Overnight??

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So these guys literally grew out of my cypress mulch overnight. I obviously removed them in case they aren’t safe but wth? Does this mean my whole enclosure should be changed out? I do keep his enclosure warm and damp so I’m guessing that’s why fungi grew but he could have eaten these if I were at work and now I’m freaking out a bit. PS any chance they’re magic?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Doesn't look like a magic one lol. You're probably going to have to change all your substrate and disinfect everything to get rid of the mushroom spores, or they're going to keep growing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fungi grow on rotting items. So there was probably some old food in that spot. I wouldn't worry about it. Just pluck them out.

daniellenc

Maryland
Any clue what kind of mushrooms these were? And if he had eaten them would they be harmful? I turned his light off at 8pm and they weren’t there but were at 8am when his lights came on and he was already out basking at that point and totally could have chomped them.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Not sure. They didn't grow overnight though. Just the mushroom part. Mushroom spores are microscopic. Once they get in your substrate they first take root which is called mycelium. Mycelium usually spreads thru the substrate for up to a couple weeks before you will see any mushrooms start to grow. The mushrooms you see are the "fruit" This is why you'll probably need to change your substrate and disinfect.

daniellenc

Maryland
Not sure. They didn't grow overnight though. Just the mushroom part. Mushroom spores are microscopic. Once they get in your substrate they first take root which is called mycelium. Mycelium usually spreads thru the substrate for up to a couple weeks before you will see any mushrooms start to grow. The mushrooms you see are the "fruit" This is why you'll probably need to change your substrate and disinfect.

Ugh and here I was thinking I could get away with binge watching Netflix all day. If they were safe I’d probably allow it but with no ID I don’t want to risk it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Let me do some research.....

Bambam1989

East Texas
Does anyone have a website they would recommend for mushroom IDing. Living in Western Washington I always have mushrooms popping up in my yard...

daniellenc

Maryland
Picture this is a plant app but couldn’t ID this one. I tried to look it up online but it looks like so many I couldn’t ID it myself.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ya I can't find anything definite. I would say get rid of em. Just in case they were magic though, and your tort ate some, you might wanna put on some pink floyd for him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any clue what kind of mushrooms these were? And if he had eaten them would they be harmful? I turned his light off at 8pm and they weren’t there but were at 8am when his lights came on and he was already out basking at that point and totally could have chomped them.
No. I don't know a thing about fungi, except for the fact they grow very fast.

daniellenc

Maryland
Ok entire enclosure redone. Omg what work lol. He is currently very displeased and angry his personal swamp is gone. I wet the bottom layer quite well for humidity but his top layer is dry except for his moss in his hides. He is marching around secretly cursing me.