Mushrooms in enclosure

BobbyJ

I baked my substrate a few weeks ago and today I noticed that there were a few grey/whitish mushrooms growing in the cooler side of the tank . I removed them once I noticed , is this harmful . Also , I noticed a few gnats again in the enclosure I hung a piece of fly tape . I have a bunch of pill bugs so hopefully that will keep any eggs from hatching

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mushrooms are from decay in material. What is your substrate ?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its more than likely the potting soil giving you the problems . Orchard bark ,coco choir are better in my opinion .

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
GET RID OF THE SHROOMS!:eek:
you can take any of your new organics (soil medium) and spray with lemon juice.....let dry and then introduce your tortoise. This is a safe and effective way to kill off any of the live bacteria present without harming your tort. It will NOT rid it completely as down the line the tortoise feces, plant/food material will start the organic bloom within your soil/medium once again. But it will slow it down until your next enclosure cleaning. This is a common factor that most tortoise owners encounter while having an artificial set up indoors.
(Tip# 101 giving away my secrets...;):p)

BobbyJ

GET RID OF THE SHROOMS!:eek:
you can take any of your new organics (soil medium) and spray with lemon juice.....let dry and then introduce your tortoise. This is a safe and effective way to kill off any of the live bacteria present without harming your tort. It will NOT rid it completely as down the line the tortoise feces, plant/food material will start the organic bloom within your soil/medium once again. But it will slow it down until your next enclosure cleaning. This is a common factor that most tortoise owners encounter while having an artificial set up indoors.
(Tip# 101 giving away my secrets...;):p)
Thanks I'll try that

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are the mushrooms very thin and fragile? If you touch them, do they just kind of fall apart. If they're like the ones I posted a while back, a member pointed out that they were toxic. Now I don't trust any Mushroom that I didn't purchase at the store.
It's true that they grew in breaking down brown mulch and soil.

BobbyJ

Are the mushrooms very thin and fragile? If you touch them, do they just kind of fall apart. If they're like the ones I posted a while back, a member pointed out that they were toxic. Now I don't trust any Mushroom that I didn't purchase at the store.
It's true that they grew in breaking down brown mulch and soil.
Yup sounds the same .. I'll get rid of them