MVB in 50 gallon tub?

Stormy Rose

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I am currently planning my indoor tortoise enclosure for an adult Hermann or Russian tortoise.
It is going to be a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub, and I would like to use the 100w Mercury Vapor Bulb..I understand that they get really hot, and am concerned about using one with a ceramic clamp dome fixture as it may melt the plastic.

Any suggestions for using MVBs in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub for an adult tortoise?
I don't want to use the standing mount as I have a cat who would likely knock it over..
Also, what is a safe distance from the tortoise to not over heat the basking area?

Thanks!

Also, any suggestions on 50 gallon tub setup would be appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just remember that tubs and aquariums are measured by how much they hold. You don't want real tall sides. What you want is a large floor space. So 50 gallons might be a very small floor space with tall sides - not good for a tortoise habitat. And especially not good for a Russian tortoise. They need an awful lot of wandering room.

Many of us use plastic tubs with MVB lights. They're as safe as the guy who installs them makes it.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Welcome Stormy! Look up @Elohi and find her new indoor enclosure she just set up. I am not sure what your price range is but there are ways to do what she did on the cheap as well. Quite easy to do a nice 8 x 4 for a russian or hermann's if you have the room.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, 50 is too small. For either. But MVBs are great, just make sure to hang it for enough above the enclosure so that your guy won't get burned.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As for your comment about your cat knocking over the stand, I have a stand that I use with my table, with the table filled with substrate etc. it is very heavy and if you put the base of the stand under the table, or the tub whichever, it's not going to go anywhere.
Iwould secure the lamp very well or have some kind of top like chicken wire etc. over the table so if it did fall it would not fall into the enclosure.