MVB issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I have a question, Tyrone usually hangs out under his MVB, for the last few days he is hanging out at the cooler end of his enclosure... Do you think the MVB is making it too hot? The temps under the MVB. Are about 90 -95 the cool end 80 or so. The whole thing is covered, so I am thinking maybe I should remove the cover over the MVB to see if temps go down. Or is he just being ornery? Could it be too bright ? The cool end has a 60 watt bulb and a 75 watt red heat bulb. So it is not as bright. He has been sleeping next to his soaking dish instead of in his hide, then in the morning I find him in his hide, this is after the MVB has been off for a few hours. ... Yes I am a worry wort! ( this could be normal behavior, that I am obsessing on)

Thanks for your help

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
I have a question, Tyrone usually hangs out under his MVB, for the last few days he is hanging out at the cooler end of his enclosure... Do you think the MVB is making it too hot? The temps under the MVB. Are about 90 -95 the cool end 80 or so. The whole thing is covered, so I am thinking maybe I should remove the cover over the MVB to see if temps go down. Or is he just being ornery? Could it be too bright ? The cool end has a 60 watt bulb and a 75 watt red heat bulb. So it is not as bright. He has been sleeping next to his soaking dish instead of in his hide, then in the morning I find him in his hide, this is after the MVB has been off for a few hours. ... Yes I am a worry wort! ( this could be normal behavior, that I am obsessing on)

Thanks for your help

Not sure but Alan's behaviour is predictable and it only changed when his heat bulb blew and in an emergency we put a 75watt heat bulb in instead of the 150watt we took out. It took a couple of days before we got another 150 and he started sitting under the heat lamp more and less in his soak. However, he's back to normal now although his morning get ups are getting a little later due to his partying with Tyrone :L :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
Not sure but Alan's behaviour is predictable and it only changed when his heat bulb blew and in an emergency we put a 75watt heat bulb in instead of the 150watt we took out. It took a couple of days before we got another 150 and he started sitting under the heat lamp more and less in his soak. However, he's back to normal now although his morning get ups are getting a little later due to his partying with Tyrone :L :)

Haa ahhh ...

Of course the cooler end has a nice view of the tv, and the living room. He has been falling asleep right up against the glass, so maybe he is watching tv and watching all of us watching tv! (planning his escape to party with Alan and Princess I am sure!)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Haa ahhh ...

Of course the cooler end has a nice view of the tv, and the living room. He has been falling asleep right up against the glass, so maybe he is watching tv and watching all of us watching tv! (planning his escape to party with Alan and Princess I am sure!)

Definitely! Alan's viv is like our coffee table in the corner so he gets to watch X factor on a Saturday night! Mind you that depends if he's not gone out for a few drinks with Tyrone and princess ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Seems to be a respective conclusion. I usually see limited activity in these temperature ranges from my red foots. I would remove the cover to allow the hot side to drop a few degrees. If he shows a difference in actions then might just be the problem. But 95 is getting a bit warm for a red foot.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
tortadise said:
Seems to be a respective conclusion. I usually see limited activity in these temperature ranges from my red foots. I would remove the cover to allow the hot side to drop a few degrees. If he shows a difference in actions then might just be the problem. But 95 is getting a bit warm for a red foot.

There is something in the temps as we reduced his due to tf advice and he started to come out more ;)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
tortadise said:

Thanks, I knew you would have some sound advice!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I am posting this here as well as another post

Ok so here is something .... Tyrone has been staying down at the cooler end of his tank, so I thought I would switch it up and make the cool end the warm end and I put his MVB down at that end .. He stayed at that end and dug all the way to the bottom of his tank ... A good 6 inches and buried himself! I am beginning to think the bulb is hurting his eyes! I switched it back at the other end and unburied him he seems to be fine and is walking around the cool end .... So now I am wondering if MVB is bad or something ... Or is it just a coincidence? What should I do? Turn off the MVB and see how he behaves?

Watsonpartyof4 said:
I am posting this here as well as another post

Ok so here is something .... Tyrone has been staying down at the cooler end of his tank, so I thought I would switch it up and make the cool end the warm end and I put his MVB down at that end .. He stayed at that end and dug all the way to the bottom of his tank ... A good 6 inches and buried himself! I am beginning to think the bulb is hurting his eyes! I switched it back at the other end and unburied him he seems to be fine and is walking around the cool end .... So now I am wondering if MVB is bad or something ... Or is it just a coincidence? What should I do? Turn off the MVB and see how he behaves?

BTW I did uncover the warmer end and have temps around 85 cool end 75-80

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Haa ahhh ...

Has he met tommy my tort? It would be an obvious choice to escape because I live closer! Lol less walking the better.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
mattgrizzlybear said:
Has he met tommy my tort? It would be an obvious choice to escape because I live closer! Lol less walking the better.

LAUGHING OUT LOUD FOR REAL! Welcome to the "party all night sleep all day club"

I don't understand why he parties like a rock star all night and buries himself during the day, unless it is the MVB. I have red heat bulbs for the night time use. During the day it is MVD on warm end and a household 60 watt, with small red heat on cool end. I am thinking he doesn't like the MVB.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Odd. Rosie comes out after nighttime digging down when the mvb comes on. Some days she sprawls her legs out while under it. Usually she leaves me a big ole poop to bake under it. Lucky me, right?

I'm sure the dogs would love tortoise "biscuits" :rolleyes:

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
Odd. Rosie comes out after nighttime digging down when the mvb comes on. Some days she sprawls her legs out while under it. Usually she leaves me a big ole poop to bake under it. Lucky me, right?

I'm sure the dogs would love tortoise "biscuits" :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha! That is funny! Well yesterday he made a liar out of me! I fed him as usual, only this time I gave him a little extra Mazuri ... Well that did the trick! He stomped from one end to the other, the dragged his cuttlefish gone under the MVB where he proceeded to munch on and left me a big ole' tortoise "biscuit"! Then he stomped around some more and left another "biscuit" on the other end of his enclosure!

I usually feed him about 5-6 pellets of Mazuri along with big handful of his greens. Yesterday I doubled it and gave him 10. So Maybe I need to feed him 10 from now on! I turned his MVB off at 10pm and that little stinker was still up at midnight just stomping around, I kept hearing him going in and out of his nice clean water, until it was all dirty, then he finally went to the corner next to his hide and dug himself in for the night.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Alan RF said:
Definitely! Alan's viv is like our coffee table in the corner so he gets to watch X factor on a Saturday night! Mind you that depends if he's not gone out for a few drinks with Tyrone and princess ;)

Ha! Princesse's tank is between the dining and living room, so we can watch her wherever we are :) I'll wave to her from the couch and she'll stretch her neck and come closer to the glass for a better view :) She seems to recognize the pizza box colors too, she'll get excited and come to the corner closest to where I sit at the dining table and open her mouth, like a baby bird, waiting for the pineapple to drop in her gullet :)

Alan RF said:
There is something in the temps as we reduced his due to tf advice and he started to come out more ;)

That's really interesting. I was worried about the cool temps in our old, drafty house so I added a CHE which raised the temps by 2 degrees. She's been spending more time in the cooler part of the warm end since. Perhaps I should put more faith in her cues rather than temps readings? Or using the CHE at night only instead of keeping it always on in conjunction with the MVB during the day...

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
Ha! Princesse's tank is between the dining and living room, so we can watch her wherever we are :) I'll wave to her from the couch and she'll stretch her neck and come closer to the glass for a better view :) She seems to recognize the pizza box colors too, she'll get excited and come to the corner closest to where I sit at the dining table and open her mouth, like a baby bird, waiting for the pineapple to drop in her gullet :)

That's really interesting. I was worried about the cool temps in our old, drafty house so I added a CHE which raised the temps by 2 degrees. She's been spending more time in the cooler part of the warm end since. Perhaps I should put more faith in her cues rather than temps readings? Or using the CHE at night only instead of keeping it always on in conjunction with the MVB during the day...

Well I have been adjust Tyrone's temps and yesterday when he was all over the place it was rather warm in his viv, 95-100 under basking area and he was camped out under it! ... I think he likes it warm! Today I kept warm end 90-95 and cool end was 85.

Tyrones viv is in between the living room, dinning room kitchen, so he comes to one end and can watch tv, go to the other and see me wash dishes and cook!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Well I have been adjust Tyrone's temps and yesterday when he was all over the place it was rather warm in his viv, 95-100 under basking area and he was camped out under it! ... I think he likes it warm! Today I kept warm end 90-95 and cool end was 85.

Tyrones viv is in between the living room, dinning room kitchen, so he comes to one end and can watch tv, go to the other and see me wash dishes and cook!

That's where her tank was at the old apartment, in the crook of the "L", so she could see us wherever we were!
Right now Shes back to basking in her spotlight... Could be because Crystal is also burrowed there, she tends to follow her around.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
That's where her tank was at the old apartment, in the crook of the "L", so she could see us wherever we were!
Right now Shes back to basking in her spotlight... Could be because Crystal is also burrowed there, she tends to follow her around.

Awww how cute!

So I broke down and gave Tyrone some Mazuri, after he refused to eat his greens... He Thanked me by leaving a huge tort "biscuit" on his plate! After he ate ... He stomped all over the place, in and out the water and in and out his hides. I am telling you that Mazuri is like coffee! It wakes him up and gets him going! Today I am going to the store to get him some different greens and some strawberrys... I swear no Mazuri today nope not one nugget...

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The past 2 days Princesse got her salad without the Mazuri mixed in. Well, she said " thanks for the cactus pear and pineapple but where's my Mazuri???" Hahaha I could tell she spread it around, thinking maybe it hidden underneath ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.