MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
I currently have separate bulbs, one for UVA/B and a basking. I was wondering if anyone using the MVB can give me a little info.
Do you think it's worth the cost?
Do you still use additional heating or UVA/UVB lights? (Not including the ceramic heater)

They seem to be a lot more expensive, do you have to replace them once every 10-12 months still?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I use MVBs. I think it's worth the cost and hassle to use them. They are the only source of heat I use. My tortoises are outside most of the year, so I only have to use the lights a few months a year. I still replace them every winter just to be safe. I use the old ones for a heat source with my outside tortoises who don't need the UV until they burn out. Hope that is helpful. :)

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
It is very helpful. I found one site that sells them for about $32, the first place I looked was like $50.

Did you go with 100w?

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
:) I use a MVB due to the fact my torts have to be inside durring the long winter months, mine is a 160 W.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
JenniferAnn said:
It is very helpful. I found one site that sells them for about $32, the first place I looked was like $50.

Did you go with 100w?

Mine are 100w.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is also the only bulb that gives out the most UVB. Not as good as the sun of course, but better then any other bulb. I use 100 watt with a CHE.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I do like MVBs but the convenience of having the "two-in-one" UV+heat bulb can also be a disadvantage. Achieving the correct basking temperatures while still making sure the reptile gets adequate amounts of UV can be tricky, depending on the needs of the species. If you raise the bulb high to lower basking temps, the effectiveness of the UV emission lessens the farther away the bulb is away from the enclosure floor. Likewise, if you lower the bulb to raise the basking temps, you end up with a very concentrated/focused UV spot.

Also....what do you do at night? Many people keep their homes cooler than 70-75'F, which usually warrants a nighttime heating element of some sort. Can't have any bright basking bulbs on 24/7 if you want to simulate a natural photoperiod, and this includes MVBs. Many keepers use ceramic heat emitters (CHEs) which are strictly heat and no light. So even with that awesome "combo" light, most people are still going to need a second light fixture.

This is why I decided to leave MVBs for sun-worshipping lizards like bearded dragons, Uromastyx and monitors, and just run a CHE 24/7 for my young tortoises I keep indoors. For UV, I just have an "old school" 5.0 Repti-Glo florescent bulb that is on for 12 hrs. Mind you, I keep redfoots. This set-up has worked well for me. I did originally have a MVB for my juvenile sulcata, and he did fine on that. I still think they're great bulbs for certain species, but not all.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I recently read that a florescent tube may not be enough UVB for a leopard. I have a reptisun 10.0 tube going now.

Not trying to jack the thread, but can anyone say for sure that this isn't enough UVB, and would adding a MVB to the tube be too much UVB?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Where in the world do you live?

Personally, I like the florescent tubes over MVB's for cost reasons and I get better lighting by using multiple florescent bulbs which still cost less to operating than one MVB. I also don't have to worry about the tortoises UVB needs since I live in an area where they can get plenty of outdoor time all throughout the year.

If you live in an area where it is too cool to get them outside during the winter. An MVB would probably be a better option.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
I noticed that you said you have multiple florescent bulbs, does your UVA/UVB light shine over the entire enclosure? And how did you determine what the best height above the substrate is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.