My 4 yr old Browns

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston TX
Well its been a while .
My Male & female bought from a local breeder are now 4 yrs old ( Hatch date 09/08/2011 .
Male was 3 3/4 inches @ 11 months old & female was 3 1/2 inches .
Now 4 yrs later male is 10.5 inches & female is 8 3/4 inches .
They grow fast .

photo 2 2014.JPG photo 3 2014.JPG photo 4 2014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Looks like you have a redfooted army. How many tortoises are kept together? I see one brown. 10.5 inches sounds big for a four year old.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Looks like you have a redfooted army. How many tortoises are kept together? I see one brown. 10.5 inches sounds big for a four year old.
i have 6 red foots & 2 Burmese browns .
Photos were taken in 2014 .
Yes 10.5 is large for a 4 yr old but they are kept outside 24/7 in a 21 ft. x 18 ft outdoor enclosure & eat like pigs ...
Will try to get updates on photos & enclosure additions soon .
Mike D.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
i have 6 red foots & 2 Burmese browns .
Photos were taken in 2014 .
Yes 10.5 is large for a 4 yr old but they are kept outside 24/7 in a 21 ft. x 18 ft outdoor enclosure & eat like pigs ...
Will try to get updates on photos & enclosure additions soon .
Mike D.
Our weather is pretty similar. What do you do with them during the winter? How old were the brown's when you integrated them in with the red foots?

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Actually i use to bring them in the garage in a 4 x 8 tortoise table . but i converted it to a shed with 3 ft. sides & a 4-12 pitched roof . it is now inside the enclosure with a door & ramp that allows them to enter /exit @ will . If the temps get below 50 f at night i lock them up in shed . i have heaters & timers that cycle from 5 pm to 10 am the next morning . I have had them section off until last spring ,The 2 Burmese were in a section off portion that was 6 ft by 12 ft but last winter i had them all together in the building & they did fine so this spring i decided to monitor them closely for aggression & let them mingle together .at the rate they are growing though & as the Burmese get large enough to start breeding i will probably add another section of 12 ft panels to the enclosure to give them their own space . i have enough room to go out another 30 feet if needed .will get new photos up as soon as i am able
Mike D

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Thanks. That sound like what I was expecting to do with mine. I just got two yearling browns.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Congrats on the browns .You will love them .I think they are more social than the redfoots . Seems i'm always doing something different ,moving things adding stuff & the Burmese follow me around like a puppy always under my feet getting in the way . I went to a reptile expo with Exotic doctor on here & couldn't decide what i wanted . He suggested the Burmese browns would be good for this climate & as they get larger would probably get along just fine with the redfoots .So far he is correct but with that being said i still am a little cautious & spend lots of time with them in the evening & on weekends . If any type of aggression is observed the aggressor is removed immediately . 1 of my 3 Redfoot males was showing aggression to one of the other larger males & was put in a 3 x 4 area for a couple of weeks .Now he is fine with the others .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Fantastic growth for sure. Interesting how the male is much larger than the female. Keep track of them both. You may be surprised to find the bigger one be the female.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Fantastic growth for sure. Interesting how the male is much larger than the female. Keep track of them both. You may be surprised to find the bigger one be the female.
OK will do .The breeder told me the larger was male? Will get most recent pictures up soon .
Seems last year they had a growth spurt & grew 2 inches in 1 yr .
They do consume lots of Mazuri though

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Two they consume lots of everything here. Disposals is what they are. I literally had the 4 adults I have devour a 12' banana tree like beavers and in a couple hours it was nada and they still wanted the afternoon feeding.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Holy crap! You sure they aren't Meps? or integrated? They're HUGE. Yes we need more pics. I love pics. Lets see plastron and verify sex....I love guessing...

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Got to looking & growth chart record & actual hatch date on my Burmese was 9/2010 & I purchased them 10/2011 .
Nice day today so I went out to the enclosure with tape measure .
The larger one is 13" SCL & the smaller is 10" SCL .Found the camera & tomorrow if weather permits I will get pictures .
Now I am confused perhaps the larger is the female .
I have observed that the redfoots females are grow at a much faster rate than the males
Attached photo is when I got them 10/02/2011

Attachments

• Bermese mountain 10-01-2011 002.JPG
    Bermese mountain 10-01-2011 002.JPG
    716.8 KB · Views: 30