sigmatheratops

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So I have 2 baby desert tortoises, either Mojave or Sonoran, maybe some other desert species, I don’t know. Story behind this is I went to Mexico to visit my uncle who has adult tortoises. They laid eggs at one of his houses, around 50 miles away, went to the house we were visiting him at and brought 3. He told me he would give me one or two, however many I wanted. Say we were leaving, around 4:00 am, he told me to pick 2 tortoises. (Now I had already been researching these baby’s for awhile and knew how to care for them.) I told him I only wanted one because I wanted him to keep his own babies (no idea they couldn’t be kept in pairs). He insisted and so I took 2. Here are some pictures of them: (Baby Number 1)View attachment 376881View attachment 376882View attachment 376883View attachment 376884
Baby Number 2:
View attachment 376885View attachment 376886IMG_4811.jpeg
Sorry for the big story, figured it would help in some way. Also, the place there were born is a very hot plays, probably reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit on average during the summer. I actually have no idea on when they were born, and since I’m thinking they were born on April or May since that’s when they were both 2 inches (still are around 2 inches). Since they’re still babies, I’m not expecting any solid results, but since there are a lot of experts here maybe I could get a solid prediction or answer. I have no idea on what to trust anymore so I just came here, but one thing I do know is that tortoises tend be be females when there’s higher temperatures.
The reason I even want to know the gender is to separate them or to get another, more towards the future. If one is male or both are males, I’ll have to separate them but if they’re females I can get another one (correct me if I’m wrong). I’ll check replies tomorrow when I get back from school if you guys need any better photos. (I might also add stuff that I could’ve forgotten)

sigmatheratops

Arizona
So I have 2 baby desert tortoises, either Mojave or Sonoran, maybe some other desert species, I don’t know. Story behind this is I went to Mexico to visit my uncle who has adult tortoises. They laid eggs at one of his houses, around 50 miles away, went to the house we were visiting him at and brought 3. He told me he would give me one or two, however many I wanted. Say we were leaving, around 4:00 am, he told me to pick 2 tortoises. (Now I had already been researching these baby’s for awhile and knew how to care for them.) I told him I only wanted one because I wanted him to keep his own babies (no idea they couldn’t be kept in pairs). He insisted and so I took 2. Here are some pictures of them: (Baby Number 1)View attachment 376881View attachment 376882View attachment 376883View attachment 376884
Baby Number 2:
View attachment 376885View attachment 376886View attachment 376887
Sorry for the big story, figured it would help in some way. Also, the place there were born is a very hot plays, probably reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit on average during the summer. I actually have no idea on when they were born, and since I’m thinking they were born on April or May since that’s when they were both 2 inches (still are around 2 inches). Since they’re still babies, I’m not expecting any solid results, but since there are a lot of experts here maybe I could get a solid prediction or answer. I have no idea on what to trust anymore so I just came here, but one thing I do know is that tortoises tend be be females when there’s higher temperatures.
The reason I even want to know the gender is to separate them or to get another, more towards the future. If one is male or both are males, I’ll have to separate them but if they’re females I can get another one (correct me if I’m wrong). I’ll check replies tomorrow when I get back from school if you guys need any better photos. (I might also add stuff that I could’ve forgotten)
I just realized you guys can’t see ANY of the photos so I’ll re-add them here:

Baby Number 1:IMG_4808.jpegIMG_4806.jpegIMG_4809.jpegIMG_4810.jpeg
Baby Number 2:IMG_4811.jpegIMG_4813.jpegIMG_4812.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Baby Number 2:
View attachment 376885View attachment 376886View attachment 376887
Hello!
At this age it's impossible to tell gender ("sex" is more accurate term for this). All hatchlings are born with female traits and in 3-7 years (depending on growth rate and conditions) some develop male characteristics.