My baby Cherryhead came today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have initial (albeit kinda crappy) pics from the unboxing. He/She is now happily exploring the vivarium (video to come soon) and seems really happy! :D
I just have one question. I noticed the little guy/gal makes a kind of odd noise here and there...kind of like the grunting of a small pig snort/chirp (I'll have to record it if I can). It seems to especially happen when he/she climbs into the water dish (which I've already had to clean, LOL).
Is this normal? I couldn't help it...I found it adorable. HOWEVER, I want to make sure that is OK and not the sign of something more serious!
BTW, I ended up naming him/her Piglet...the sound inspired me :tort:

Pics to posted shortly...trying to get them to transfer from my cellphone :rolleyes:

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
As long as he's not wheezing (making noise when he inhales) your fine.
they do make noises here an there. Congrats on your new :tort:

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Congrats on your new tortie. If they pull their head in quick they make a hissing noise, because they are deflating their lungs to fit into the shell. That is the noise of them pushing out the air. But anything other than that...I don't know. Agreed that as long as it is not a wheezing noise...you should be fine.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thank you kindly, everyone!
It's not a wheezing noise (and I actually have not heard it today), but it was also not that air expulsion noise when their necks go in (I'm used to that type of sound as my good friend has pythons and they do that same type of sigh/release of pressure when they're relaxing...it's just about 100x louder :p)

Here are some pics from the initial unpacking yesterday! I've added them as attachments, and I did not resize them. I can definitely resize them if you want! :)
I don't want to to disturb Piglet, but I was wondering when I can take new pics? Do you guys think I will be able to in a few days? I don't want to stress out my tort! :tort:

Attachments

• IMAG0526.jpg
    IMAG0526.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0531.jpg
    IMAG0531.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0528.jpg
    IMAG0528.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 81

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
That's a beautiful little Tort. I remember when mine was that size.. ah memories, we will enjoy them.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Kenny said:
That's a beautiful little Tort. I remember when mine was that size.. ah memories, we will enjoy them.
Thank you kindly! :)
I hope to enjoy memories for years (heck, even DECADES) to come.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Both of my Greeks occasionally make the same noise. I don't think it's anything to worry about - I think it's just a way of vocalizing.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Congratulations on a beautiful cherry head - Piglet
Nice colouration.
Enjoy him/her!

Tortoise said:
Nice colouration.
Enjoy him/her!

This just reminded me that a week or so ago-I heard a strange noise come from my Red Foot pen-sounded just like somebody sneezed-I looked at them with disbelief and still wonder if that could have happened?

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
coreyc said:
Piglet looks awesome congrats again :)

Guggie said:
Both of my Greeks occasionally make the same noise. I don't think it's anything to worry about - I think it's just a way of vocalizing.

Good to know! I haven't heard the noise since...Piglet is currently P.O'd because I have him/her in a quarantine-like setting lol
I know it's weird to say that, but I can definitely tell. Piglet looks bored as all get out.

Tortoise said:
Nice colouration.
Enjoy him/her!

This just reminded me that a week or so ago-I heard a strange noise come from my Red Foot pen-sounded just like somebody sneezed-I looked at them with disbelief and still wonder if that could have happened?

Thank you kindly! :D

LOL! That sounds really cute...
I've heard sometimes they can make sounds when clearing out their nose...no idea if that's true or not though. :p

killuchen said:
Aww its beautiful. Where did you buy him/her from?

I purchased Piglet from Tyler Stewart over at tortoisesupply! He's a great guy to work with, and (I think it was her, I called before ordering) his wife is really nice, too. :D

If I ever get another Cherry I might look into purchasing from other forum regulars on here...I can't really remember their names because I'm a newbie lol

dalano73 said:
Piglet is a very nice looking tortoise..

wrmitchell22 said:
Gorgeous baby :) congrats!

:tort: You all are very kind!

Status
Not open for further replies.