My baby leopard tortoise doesn’t open its eyes a lot

RyanW81969

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee
Hi my 3 month baby leopard tortoise has been eating and drinking water when he gets the chance to but lately I have been seeing him not opening his eyes but only when he eats... I soak him once a day, I use a top soil and play sand 50/50 substrate and put water everyday or every other day in the substrate but I am confused why he won’t open his eyes!

RyanW81969

Menifee
Hi my 3 month baby leopard tortoise has been eating and drinking water when he gets the chance to but lately I have been seeing him not opening his eyes but only when he eats... I soak him once a day, I use a top soil and play sand 50/50 substrate and put water everyday or every other day in the substrate but I am confused why he won’t open his eyes!

I use a heat emitter 100w, a Reptisun Terrarium hood 20” 5.0 UVB And a incandescent light with the heat emitter.. am I doing something wrong?IMG_1523652468.322584.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The problem could be that you’re using sand. Sand should never be used in any amount, because it causes impaction, and is an eye, nose, and skin irritant. Change your substrate ASAP to coco coir, orchid bark, peat moss, or cypress mulch. I recommend orchid bark.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, you really need a closed chamber, because there is no way to hold humidity in an open enclosure. Make a tent that goes over the lights and top with a shower curtain, and something for the frame.(maybe pvc pipes, etc.)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just throwing this out there for comment, but WOW!, it just seems like way too brightly lit all over. There’s not a nice little “shady” warm humid spot to hang out...just BRIGHT “sun” all over. I’d suggest a larger enclosure, with various areas for your tort to hang out....warm, humid, a bit shady, etc. But, wait for experienced Leopard owners to chime in before you go rearranging things.

Best of luck.

RyanW81969

Menifee
Okay is it fine if I put coco coir and cypress mulch? Do I mix them or I put one on top of eachotyer

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
As mentioned above, you really should convert the enclosure to a closed chamber. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I converted my Russian's large habitat into one in only about two hours, and his enclosure is much larger than your one is.

I didn't do it to keep in humidity, I just did it to help keep the heat in during the winter. (we keep the house rather cold and it's impossible to keep that large of an open enclosure at proper temperatures)

All I used to do it was a few pieces of bamboo that we grew in our yard, some Saran wrap, and duct tape. I made a tent frame shaped structure out of the bamboo, and covered it in Saran wrap, overlapping the sheets of wrap about an inch. This way, I didn't need to use any additional tape. The wrap just sticks to itself!

Surprisingly, considering the low quality materials I used, it has lasted almost two years now.

RyanW81969

Menifee
As mentioned above, you really should convert the enclosure to a closed chamber. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I converted my Russian's large habitat into one in only about two hours, and his enclosure is much larger than your one is.

I didn't do it to keep in humidity, I just did it to help keep the heat in during the winter. (we keep the house rather cold and it's impossible to keep that large of an open enclosure at proper temperatures)

All I used to do it was a few pieces of bamboo that we grew in our yard, some Saran wrap, and duct tape. I made a tent frame shaped structure out of the bamboo, and covered it in Saran wrap, overlapping the sheets of wrap about an inch. This way, I didn't need to use any additional tape. The wrap just sticks to itself!

Surprisingly, considering the low quality materials I used, it has lasted almost two years now.

Can you tell me what to use!? I don’t have really anything but can I use Saran rap over the tub?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please read these for more detailed instruction on how to house and care for your tortoise:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I agree that the sand needs to come out ASAP. Fine grade orchid bark is the best substrate for these guys. I buy it in bulk at a local garden center for a fraction of the price.

Your 5.0 bulb is nice for lighting up the enclosure, but your tortoise is getting zero UV from that bulb at that height.

Are you soaking daily?

You need to make some changes right away if you want your little tortoise to survive and thrive.