My baby

Vadababy12

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield,ca
Can someone plz tell me why the skin underneath my baby desert tortoises chin is peeling? Both of them have it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Can someone plz tell me why the skin underneath my baby desert tortoises chin is peeling? Both of them have it?
Its probably much too dry. Most of the advice given for this species is all wrong and will result in their death if followed. Are you soaking daily? Housing them on some damp substrate for moderate humidity? Using a humid hide? You should be doing all of the above.

Did you read that they do better outside? They don't. They dehydrate and do poorly when kept mostly outside. In side by side experiments with clutchmates, they do MUCH better when kept mostly indoors in correct, stable, moderately humid conditions, with short excursions in safe outdoor enclosures for an hour or two a few times per week, until they get bigger.

They should never be kept in pairs. This is extremely stressful and unnatural for them. Best housed all alone, or in small groups of babies/juveniles. Never pairs.

Care for DTs is the same as it is for Russians. Diet is similar to a sulcatas diet, but less grass for a DT. Read these for more info: