My BD changing colors? And new tank pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Hello again everyone! I think Dante (my BD) has got me a little post crazy, lol. Well last nite I went to go spend some time with him and noticed that he was molting (correct term?) already, I just bought him Sunday. In the previous pictures you can see that he was a brown color, now after the old skin came off his head (that molted first) his head is now yellowish. I have seen some yellow BDs but I thought mine would stay the brownish color. Is a different species of BD or is he still a common BD?

I should change my username to question lady, lol :p

Here are some pics...

Pictures of his head and you can see some skin still coming off. I do like the yellow color, its pretty :)

yellowhead2.jpg

yellowhead.jpg

He's not super skinny anymore. Someone loves crickets. He finally got a belly on him, lol.

chillin.jpg

The new tank set-up. I got rid of the sand and he has the branch to get close to the heat. The cooler side has his vegies and water. I put his hide in there in the evening because the crickets always hide in it and doesn't let Dante eat them. I cant get the glass super clean for some reason. There is like some white-ish film on it. I dont want to use chemicals. Any suggestions?

outsideoftank.jpg

He's loving the branch thing

heatside.jpg

Couldn't resist trying to get a pic of the cricket. I love taking pictures, lol.

cricket.jpg

And I just love this picture that I took of him :)

dantehead.jpg

I hope you enjoyed ;)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Bearded Dragon (Dante)
1 Shih-tzu (Suki)
:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The head color is a highly sought after trait. People breed for it.

The whitish film is hard water stains. Application of a straight edge razor and lots of elbow grease should remove it with no chemicals.

Is he getting some sunshine a few times a week? Calcium supplement? Just checking. I want him to stay that beautiful.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I never noticed the different colors on beardie's head because they always seem busy moving and colors are in blur...LOL.
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The usual term is "shedding." ;)

Looks like he'll really be a stunner as he grows! Such a nice yellow on him, and he's still just a little babe. They become more colorful, too, as they grow. :)

The difference in coloration isn't a difference in species (all the commonly kept/bred beardies here in the US are one species; though, from what I understand, there is a second (sub?)species), but more what your beardie was bred for... It's a matter of genetics, and/or the breeder selecting adults for their coloration. Only time (and good care, and lots of exposure to sunlight/UVB) will tell how your beardie will end up.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
Small Beardies will normally be shedding SOME part of their skin at a time for the next few months.
They grow VERY fast, equivalent to a human being over 5ft tall at 4 years old, respectively.
They slow their shedding cycle WAY down when they are adults.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Cool, thank you for the information everyone. I seen so many differtent colored BDs at the reptile show I thought that they were different kinds, lol. Its neat how the start showing color (when they "shed" ;) ) and as they get older, a nice little surprise.

I got him a leash that has a harness on it so I can start taking him outside. I have been holding him everyday so that way he can get used to being held. I am so afraid that he will jump and try to get away when I take him outside. So far he seems comfortable with being held so we are now past that step. I really want to take him on walks with me outside!

And yeppers, I got him the calcium powder stuff that I put on his food. He seems hesitant when he looks at his food like ewww... healthy stuff, lol.

Its funny because when he sheds, thats when he really really love being pet. I guess it must feel good._______________________________________________________

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Bearded Dragon (Dante)
1 Shih-tzu (Suki)
:D

chadk

10 Year Member!
A good soak would probably be appreciated during shedding as well.

My 'normals' always looked much more colorful right after a shed. But as they grow, the bright colors tend to start fading and you notice less and less.

Yours is definately looking much better :) Is it eating any greens yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.