My boy stopped eating and . . . . .

Mimi Jan

I have a California Desert tort that I hatched from an egg and he is 22 years old. He was born and raised in So. Cal. I recently moved back to Colorado, where I had lived with him previously for 5 years. he did fine during those 5 years. This is the first time I haved moved him when he has been out of hibernation. He was fine the first few weeks back, then I noticed he was not eating, pooping or voiding. I thought maybe he was constipated. I did the warm water soaks. No luck. I took him to the vet 11 days ago. The vet said he looked quite healthy, stuck a thermometer up his bum with no problem which dispelled my thought that he was constipated. He took an x-ray and discovered he has a small kidney stone. He gave him a B vitamin shot to help with his appetite. The vet sent all of his info to a vet in Denver for a professional consultation. I have not heard back from the vet but my boy is still not eating, pooping or voiding. He also won't exercise in his new (large) enclosure. If I take him out and let him roam he goes all over but as soon as I put him back in his enclosure he goes right back in his house.
Is this a result of upset from the move? I don't know what else to do. He's not dehydrated, I soak him once a day now. I hope someone can pls help with this. I don't want to let him go into hibernation at the end of October if he hasn't gotten plumped up from the summer. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Probably a bladder stone rather than a kidney stone, and they are pretty painful. The stone has to be removed, as it blocks the ureter and keeps the tortoise from being able to pee. Tortoises die from this.

I won't scold you or lecture you about how illegal it is to take a desert tortoise out of his home state, I just want you to be aware of it.

Mimi Jan

Probably a bladder stone rather than a kidney stone, and they are pretty painful. The stone has to be removed, as it blocks the ureter and keeps the tortoise from being able to pee. Tortoises die from this.

I won't scold you or lecture you about how illegal it is to take a desert tortoise out of his home state, I just want you to be aware of it.

Thank you Yvonne. Who does that kind of surgery, any idea? I am aware of the residence restrictions but I'm not willing to give him up.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Mimi, I don't keep hibernating species but common sense tells me to NOT hibernate a sick animal. I am surprised that the vet who discovered bladder stone didn't offer plan of care options immediately. That would drive me crazy. Soak, soak, soak. Add gerber baby carrot into the soak if he continues refusing food. If try offering fresh cucumber or aloe plant. He may not go for the aloe but the smell of fresh cucumber may entice his senses. If he does go for it, then try to follow up with aloe, all that in effort to help him poo. I wonder if the stone is small enough for the tort to be able to pass it on his own... Also keep him nice and warm around 85F, and humid. Those are the things you can do on your own that will be supporting your ailing pet while you wait to hear from the vet. I wouldn't wait too long though. They should talk to you about the plan of care and your options immediately at the time of a visit before you left their clinic.

Mimi Jan

Hi Mimi, I don't keep hibernating species but common sense tells me to NOT hibernate a sick animal. I am surprised that the vet who discovered bladder stone didn't offer plan of care options immediately. That would drive me crazy. Soak, soak, soak. Add gerber baby carrot into the soak if he continues refusing food. If try offering fresh cucumber or aloe plant. He may not go for the aloe but the smell of fresh cucumber may entice his senses. If he does go for it, then try to follow up with aloe, all that in effort to help him poo. I wonder if the stone is small enough for the tort to be able to pass it on his own... Also keep him nice and warm around 85F, and humid. Those are the things you can do on your own that will be supporting your ailing pet while you wait to hear from the vet. I wouldn't wait too long though. They should talk to you about the plan of care and your options immediately at the time of a visit before you left their clinic.
Thank you Pearly for your information. I felt the same about the vet, but I live in a small town in CO and the closet vet that knew anything about tortoises was in Farmington, NM. That's a 2+ hour drive one way. That's why he sent the info to Denver. I have offered him cucumber, he won't touch it. I can get an aloe plant and try that. The only thing I have seen him eat are dandelions. My concern is I don't know how long I can wait to find out. I'm going out of the country in a month and I don't want to leave him without knowing what's going on and what to do. I was bringing him in the house at night but he didn't like it. I will continue to soak him.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thank you Yvonne. Who does that kind of surgery, any idea? I am aware of the residence restrictions but I'm not willing to give him up.
I don't blame you for not giving up your pet. I wouldn't either. I was moving to the US from the other side of Atlantic and would not leave my dog no matter what difficulties they told me I'd encounter. Anyway, about the vet, there is s list of vets all over the place here. Look up different forums. Go to BROWSE, then select TORTOISE TOPICS, there pick vet list. Thank God you are here, where there is a good reptile medical care available unlike some other parts of the globe where our members are left to their own devices with their sick pets. I wish you best of luck and will be waiting for updates, also more info from your last vet visit. Was any blood work done? Any other testing? Did the vet say "kidney stone" or "bladder stone"? Did the best he would offer was a vitamin shot? If so, scratch that vet of your list of good contacts and let the mods here know who that was so they can take him of our recommendation list. TFO members need competent reptile docs. Those vitamin shots seem to be a "panacea for all ailments" for some vets who are clueless about reptiles. They see a tort, have no idea how to even properly assess them, much less run any diagnostics, and to capture at least a bit of a revenue, they give ... vitamin shot! Which in majority cases... does ... no harm, but the tort owner is still not any further then before the visit in what has brought them there in a first place... I'm not suggesting your vet was like that just stating what seems to be a pretty common occurrence. My suggestion to you is to gather all the facts from vet visit, xray report reading, any other test results, plus your detsiled observations of your pet's behavior, general apearance, activity/sleep pattern, eating/pee/poo.. Also if you haven't already, start monitoring his weight and post all that here. We have some very experienced tort keepers, rehabers, rescuers, vet medicine professionals, sime of whom may chime in and may have some helpful tips

Mimi Jan

Thank you Pearly. Your support is helpful and suggestions well taken. I need to get him re-evaluated before I leave. The vet said a kidney stone, but I'm not sure he knew what he was looking at. I won't give up on him, he is special to me!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mimi, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I'm from one of those countries with no herp vets.
Good luck to you but I think the forum vet list just shows recognized reptile vets, i don't think it'differentiates between bad ones and the good ones.

Mimi Jan

Thank you Adam!. I've got to get this under control before I leave in 4 weeks. I'm hopeing to get him to a tort vet this week. I'll keep the forum posted.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome Mimi , sure hope things get squared away before you have to leave ! Sorry I cant be of more help than sending you some positive vibes from Arizona ! :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a California Desert tort that I hatched from an egg and he is 22 years old. He was born and raised in So. Cal. I recently moved back to Colorado, where I had lived with him previously for 5 years. he did fine during those 5 years. This is the first time I haved moved him when he has been out of hibernation. He was fine the first few weeks back, then I noticed he was not eating, pooping or voiding. I thought maybe he was constipated. I did the warm water soaks. No luck. I took him to the vet 11 days ago. The vet said he looked quite healthy, stuck a thermometer up his bum with no problem which dispelled my thought that he was constipated. He took an x-ray and discovered he has a small kidney stone. He gave him a B vitamin shot to help with his appetite. The vet sent all of his info to a vet in Denver for a professional consultation. I have not heard back from the vet but my boy is still not eating, pooping or voiding. He also won't exercise in his new (large) enclosure. If I take him out and let him roam he goes all over but as soon as I put him back in his enclosure he goes right back in his house.
Is this a result of upset from the move? I don't know what else to do. He's not dehydrated, I soak him once a day now. I hope someone can pls help with this. I don't want to let him go into hibernation at the end of October if he hasn't gotten plumped up from the summer. Thank you.
Sorry to have read such a painful story; and hope thing will get better soon.

It could-am guessing-be change which torts do NOT like. Give him more time, please. I for one know that words are easy.

How about posting pics of your tort and his enclosure?

And a very warm welcome to the forum!