My Chameleon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
So I purchased my first "non-tortoise" reptile today :D
This is my baby veiled chameleon, Incognito!
photo3-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Here's his cage
photo-4.jpg

If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it :) I'm new to chameleons!
Thanks for looking

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice I like chameleons but the eyes always bugged me, did you get it at the recent reptile expo?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I love veileds..looks like a little boy but hard to tell from the first pic. I will have some again,...one day.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Does the day-night cycle work the same as tortoises? UV off at night but still warm?? And how can you tell, male or female??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love 'em too. Does it have the little heel spur(male)? I can't see it in the pic. Here's my advice: Start your roach colonies NOW! They have a habit of suddenly getting picky about food sometimes, when they get older. If that happens, PM me for some different roach species.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
FernandoM said:
That the exact one my wife wants! Looks great Skyler

You live around me right?? I got him from Reptile Island in Stanton, they have good deals there! And it's 20% off the chameleon if you buy their set up, I didn't. But he threw in free crickets, which was nice. The shop is really cool too! <Just helping your wife's case ;)

And I may be calling you in the future Tom :)
I don't know if roach breeding is quite my thing lol, I haven't touched a cricket with my bare hands yet :rolleyes: blegh haha

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Skyler Nell said:
FernandoM said:
That the exact one my wife wants! Looks great Skyler

You live around me right?? I got him from Reptile Island in Stanton, they have good deals there! And it's 20% off the chameleon if you buy their set up, I didn't. But he threw in free crickets, which was nice. The shop is really cool too! <Just helping your wife's case ;)

And I may be calling you in the future Tom :)
I don't know if roach breeding is quite my thing lol, I haven't touched a cricket with my bare hands yet :rolleyes: blegh haha

Yeah that place is pretty cool. How much did you get it for? (PM me)

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
as Tom said, males have a little bump or spur on the heel of their back feet. The beauty of Veiled's is that they have such a wide temperature range and will eat both live food and vegetation. The same mixed greens that make your torties go "MMMMMMMMM...MMMMMMMM, good" do the same for your veileds. Good luck and I hope you have a male...they make awesome, very interactive pets....and I suggest you get used to holding bugs in your hands, it will make your interactions much more enjoyable.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Gorgeous! I had enough trouble getting a tortoise, so I am pretty sure my husband would say no way to a chamelion otherwise I would have one :)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Beautiful cham!

You need to add much more greenery to your enclosure. Chameleons rely on there enviroment to survive so you want to be able to help make your little guy feel more secure. Too little and the little guy could stress out and refuse to eat.

BlackMountain412

5 Year Member
Go to home depot and buy some pothos or umbrella tree for him. I would also recommend to get rid of that substrates.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a cutie!! Cool name too :)

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Thanks everyone :)
He is very shy so far, I'm going to buy more plants for his cage to make him feel more secure, I have a drip system and mist the cage twice a day. He ate about 5 crickets yesterday, I love watching him eat! I'll post more pics later because I think he is actually a she...I know this will make raising her more difficult due to egg laying :( Maybe by that time I'll buy a male for her to breed with and you all can have your pick of my baby chameleons!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
That is one sweet Chameleon. Can I reserve a baby now, LOL.

fuzzylogix

5 Year Member
veileds are really cool chams to keep. but as advised, work with him/her very early or you will not have a handleable pet on your hands. the males will have the heel spurs and they are very obvious. but just from the ventral bulge this looks to be a male. i also agree with the substrate issue. i would recommend just using paper towel. "he" will probably never even touch the bottom of his enclosure, but his prey will. you don't want him to get any of that if he misses. males will develop much larger crests as well as they mature. my male was huffy when i got into his cage, but calmed down and would walk all over me once i had him out. the two females i had... another story. they wanted to eat my face. again, congrats on the new addition and would love to see updated pics as "he" grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.