Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jennifer:

You've made a couple different comments referring to hibernation, so I just wanted to give you some help with that. When a tortoise knows the days are getting shorter and the nights cooler, he stops eating. He will usually come out and sun himself to warm up, but he won't eat. Then he'll go back into his hiding place and stay in there for the rest of the day and night. Coming out again the next morning to warm up in the sun/light. If your tortoise has a healthy appetite, he is NOT thinking about hibernating.

Here's a link to one of the best Russian care sheets. I hope it helps you:

http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
Welcome to the forums. One thing not mentioned so far here is to make sure you are keeping him safe from your dog! It's amazing that your dog did not harm him when he found him as dogs love to chew on torts...they aren't being mean, just doing what comes natural. You need to ensure that your dog is not able to get to the tort at any time.
You've been given alot of good advice as far as food, enclosure, lighting, and hibernation. I wish the best for you and your new tort friend.

Medusa

5 Year Member
Utah
It's been a while since I"ve checked on the forum. Thank you all for the welcomes. "Buddy" is getting a little dry, but I'm bathing him twice a week and am in the process of builing an outdoor pen. Very exciting! It's finally getting warm enough. I'm liking the idea of a heat emitter on a thermostat in the tort. house. I'm wanting to get a friend for him soon. Great to all the new and exciting things going in the forum. Looking forward to hearing from any of you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jennifer:

We're still waiting for pictures of Buddy.

What do you mean he's getting a little dry? You can moisten his substrate, you know. And actually, its ok if he's a little dry.

Glad to hear he's doing ok. Be sure to let us see pictures of his new outdoor habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.