Advice please (dog chew)

thoskin76

Location (City and/or State)
barcelona, Spain
Hello group, thank you for accepting me, my name is toni and I have 6 hermans and 2 russian tortoises and I live near Barcelona, yesterday my dog some how got hold of one of my herman tortoise and decided to chew around the back of his shell which I think would be classed as a CLASS B injury, we contacted the vet and showed them the damage and was advised to soak him in luke warm water with Betadine twice a day to help his wounds and stop infection and so far he is ok, my question is, should I let him hibernate this year or keep him indoors due to his injuries and not let him hibernate. We love our tortoises very much and would like some advice to help him get better, many thanks for your time, Toni.

Attachments

• 707DB53D-03F3-46BA-9E3F-3C419586881A.jpeg
    707DB53D-03F3-46BA-9E3F-3C419586881A.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 2
  • 7CCBC4C5-46D0-4157-B305-DE3674D5E3A5.jpeg
    7CCBC4C5-46D0-4157-B305-DE3674D5E3A5.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, do not brumate/hibernate him.
Also Betadine hinders healing. I would not use it more than once. A vet should have known this. Find a new vet.
Keep the tortoise away from anyone else and keep him in a hospital enclosure with proper heat but no substrate. Keep him warmer at night, not below 70-75. You can use paper or a towel as the substrate. I would not let him be outside where flies could get to the wound. Keep the wound clean and put some antibiotic cream on it.
Also species should not be mixed and tortoises should not be kept in pairs.
Be sure to fix however the dog got to them as it will happen again. Dogs should never be allowed to get too tortoises.

thoskin76

barcelona, Spain
No, do not brumate/hibernate him.
Also Betadine hinders healing. I would not use it more than once. A vet should have known this. Find a new vet.
Keep the tortoise away from anyone else and keep him in a hospital enclosure with proper heat but no substrate. Keep him warmer at night, not below 70-75. You can use paper or a towel as the substrate. I would not let him be outside where flies could get to the wound. Keep the wound clean and put some antibiotic cream on it.
Also species should not be mixed and tortoises should not be kept in pairs.
Be sure to fix however the dog got to them as it will happen again. Dogs should never be allowed to get too tortoises.
Thank you for your advice and time, much appreciated

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Neosporin in a good antibiotic cream, or triple antibiotic cream. I agree with NO more Betadine. Please keep us informed on his progress! Thank you.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Poor tortoise what a terrible experience. As mentioned no brumation for this tortoise keep it warm all winter. Once clean keep ointment on the open wound to avoid flys laying eggs on the wound. Ensure fresh leaves are served with calcium to assist with shell and bone repair. Any sharp edges will need to be gently filed with an emery board like a nail. If you see anything bad or deteriation you may have to go to a reptile vet for a good clean and check up. Good luck and keep those dogs away.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I pasted that for the information on betadine. I'm new, just now had to use it (once!) on shell rot.