My Eastern Hermanns from Arizona Tortoise Compound

Urtle

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, I am finally getting a chance to login to the forum again. I want to show everyone my new tortoises.

Anyone have any tips for keeping tortoises together? I am fairly experienced but would always love to learn more. It would also be useful to have the information in one spot.

A few things I believe help. Please feel free to chime in.

Enclosure size (the larger the better)
Multiple basking spots
barriers to keep tortoises from constant view of each other
multiple food or water dishes
multiple hides (humid hides)

of course its always better to keep tortoises separate but I wanted to compile a list for those who do not.

Thank you.

In the future I will post more pictures, questions, and account the progress for everyone.

P.S. Thank you Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hey everyone, I am finally getting a chance to login to the forum again. I want to show everyone my new tortoises.

Anyone have any tips for keeping tortoises together? I am fairly experienced but would always love to learn more. It would also be useful to have the information in one spot.

A few things I believe help. Please feel free to chime in.

Enclosure size (the larger the better)
Multiple basking spots
barriers to keep tortoises from constant view of each other
multiple food or water dishes
multiple hides (humid hides)

of course its always better to keep tortoises separate but I wanted to compile a list for those who do not.

Thank you.

In the future I will post more pictures, questions, and account the progress for everyone.

P.S. Thank you Andrew

Hello Andrew, Hermann`s tortoises are known to do good in a group.
To your questions I could only say: Yes ! Do all things like you have described them.
And by the way: Congrats to your cute babies.:)

Urtle

5 Year Member

Attachments

• IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Juvenile Eastern Hermann's, as well other juvenile Testudo species, can be kept together without issues until members of the group begin to reach sexual maturity. At that point males will have to be separated from the females and from each other. When male Testudo reach sexual maturity they become very territorial dominant and will begin to defend their territory against other males. If kept together with another mature male fights will take place constantly and one or both can be physically harmed as a result. When a mature male is kept with a female or multiple females within their territory they will pursue them relentlessly attempting to court and breed them. This can be stressful and can result in physical harm for the females.
But none of this is going to take place until your tortoise's reach at least 4.5" and up which with normal growth isn't going to be for 4-6 years. Until then, there is no reason that they cannot be kept together as long as they're in a big enough enclosure and have all the amenities that they need.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you Bee62, I was just reading a post from a member on the russian tortoise page and was considering separating them.

Here is the link....
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/w...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

What kind of tortoises do you have?

Ben

Pictures from week 1, still have a lot of work ahead.
Hello Ben, I have 4 sulcata tortoises, 2 redfoot tortoises and 2 Testudo Hermanni eastern tortoises. All my tortoises are still young, the different species are not kept together and all are doing fine. I can post pictures if you want to see them.
One thing to your babies and their enclosure: I would use a smoother substrate for these little torts. Because they like to dig I would prefer a non with chemicals treated soil like that:
https://www.amazon.de/JBL-TerraBasi...qid=1513427800&sr=8-1&keywords=terrarien+erde
https://www.amazon.de/JBL-TerraBasi...qid=1513427800&sr=8-1&keywords=terrarien+erde

with kind regards
Sabine

Urtle

5 Year Member
I would love to see them. Especially the Eastern Hermanns. I used to care for sulcatas. They are an amazing species.