My First Introduction!

SophiaKim

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello everyone! I'm Sophia and I'm a soon-to-be new tortoise owner. I'm going to get an adorable baby Sulcata tortoise in about a week or two. This is my first tortoise, well my first pet ever, and I want to be as prepared as I possibly can. I already did lots of research by myself, but I thought some input from experienced owners would be great! I hope to get to know more about this community and learn more about my tortoise. Thank You :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Check out the links at the bottom of this post under my signature

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to tfo ! Be sure to read all the pined threads in the sulcata section .

RedFire

Beijing,China
Welcome and I ensure you that here are mostly serious guys to share the experience as my experience from here.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
You are very wise to research first there is far more to tort care than meets the eye. The caresheet will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and substrate best sort of enclosure etc.
The forum can also save you money if you check what you need here before buying. Many pet shops often sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment because they are profit driven - while everyone here just wants a safe and happy home for your tort.

A few good starter pointers are
  • don't buy any coiled or long thin loop cfl type bulbs as these can damage torts eyes (MVBs are good)
  • red lights can confuse torts as they can see colour and like to eat red things
  • shallow terracotta plant saucers sunk level with substrate are safer and more accessible for your tort than the fancy steep sided water dishes pet shops sell and much cheaper
  • a digital temp gun is more accurate than the dial types in pet stores and easier to spot chck your 4 temps.
  • digital temp and humidity gauges with probes are good too for keeping an on things at tort level.
Have a look at the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) and the Enclosures thread is full of great ideas.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome

Congratulations on your soon to be Sulcata. They have marvellous petsonalities.

The following is essential reading in your preparation for its arrival - in particular, note the lighting, food bowls and space - your baby will grow rapidly ending up well over 100lb!

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/sulcata-tortoises.88/

For those who have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Don't hesitate to ask before you spend :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! How did you decide on a tortoise and a sulcata at that?
20160522_084931.jpg