My First Sulcata: Is this pyramiding?

The Jack Frost

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi,

I wanted to seek anyone's opinion on the condition of my sulcata's shell. Is it showing good signs or is it showing signs of pyramiding?

He is already 6 months old and a month old with me.

He is my first tortoise so I would appreciate all the feedback I can get. Thank you!

P.S. I am from the Philippines and we have a tropical climate (a wet and dry season).

2641jxe.jpg

2u760qw.jpg

abclements

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, yes that is pyramiding going on there. It is nothing too bad yet and once full grown, it won't be noticeable of stopped now. Up the humidity and keep your temps warm,

Ps I really like his colors!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I can't see you uploaded pics :( but in your profile pic, he looks like he's got the start of pyramiding going on!
How's the humidity? Growing (smallerish) sulcatas need it the 80s, so that they grow up smooth. How many times a week does he get soaked? That helps a lot! :D

The Jack Frost

Philippines
Unfortunately, yes that is pyramiding going on there. It is nothing too bad yet and once full grown, it won't be noticeable of stopped now. Up the humidity and keep your temps warm,

Ps I really like his colors!

:( He already had that when I got him. I make sure humidity stays above 80% but recently I noticed he got colds so for this week I decided to go down to 70% but never below 70. I soak him at least 4 times a week for an hour each.

The Jack Frost

Philippines
I can't see you uploaded pics :( but in your profile pic, he looks like he's got the start of pyramiding going on!
How's the humidity? Growing (smallerish) sulcatas need it the 80s, so that they grow up smooth. How many times a week does he get soaked? That helps a lot! :D

I am gonna experiment on his enclosure this weekend to make sure I get constant above 80 humidity and above 90 temp.

My problem really are the night temps. Humidity shoots up to almost 100% while temps fluctuate from 70 to 80. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your temperatures and heating equipment are set properly, you should not need to adjust humidity because outside temps changed. 70% humidity with cool temps is still going to be a problem. I would just keep things warm enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am gonna experiment on his enclosure this weekend to make sure I get constant above 80 humidity and above 90 temp.

My problem really are the night temps. Humidity shoots up to almost 100% while temps fluctuate from 70 to 80. :(

Night temps should never be allowed to drop to 70. Its too cool for them. 90 is okay as a day time ambient, but they still need a warmer spot for basking.

abclements

5 Year Member
70% is still ok. I'm not a sulcata guy, but what temps do you have in your enclosure. With 80% humidity, you shouldn't drop much below 80 degrees F anywhere... that could be contributing to the "colds".

What are the symptoms of his colds?

The Jack Frost

Philippines
Hi
If your temperatures and heating equipment are set properly, you should not need to adjust humidity because outside temps changed. 70% humidity with cool temps is still going to be a problem. I would just keep things warm enough.

Hi Tom,

I actually maintained above 80% humidity 24/7 but just recently tried to adjust to 70% because I thought it was contributing to him having colds.

The Jack Frost

Philippines
70% is still ok. I'm not a sulcata guy, but what temps do you have in your enclosure. With 80% humidity, you shouldn't drop much below 80 degrees F anywhere... that could be contributing to the "colds".

What are the symptoms of his colds?

The tip of his nose is moist and sometimes I saw bubbles from his nostrils. I exposed him to more sunlight during that day and under his MVB too, even soaked him during that day. I was happy because it just disappeared. But again during the night, I think I saw it again (or maybe I was just paranoid).

abclements

5 Year Member
Gotcha. I would boost temps to 80 degrees F at a minimum and that should clear it up. Make sure you have a night heat source like a CHE!

The Jack Frost

Philippines
A CHE on a thermostat is a huge help! I use a thermostat, set it at 80, and my enclosure will never drop below 80 ever. Its super nice and I never have to worry about my temps!

Great! Now I have to learn how set-up a thermostat.

On to new learnings...

I just want to be successful in making my first tort grow healthy and happy.

Thanks for all your comments friends!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Your sully are still very small. with the correct care. S/he will be perfectly fine. I'm glad you are getting all your question answered.

Is this a great place to learn and share??

abclements

5 Year Member
I hear you! They're so finicky lol but once you get things on a thermostat, life gets so much easier! I'd also suggest a timer for your light, that way you have a fully automated enclosure that takes care of everything! That way you can leave for a day or 2 and not have to worry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi

Hi Tom,

I actually maintained above 80% humidity 24/7 but just recently tried to adjust to 70% because I thought it was contributing to him having colds.

The temperature is the cause of the respiratory infections, not the humidity.

Your CHE and a thermostat should solve this problem. I would keep temps at least 85 or higher day and night for a few a weeks since this guy is already showing symptoms.

The Jack Frost

Philippines
Your sully are still very small. with the correct care. S/he will be perfectly fine. I'm glad you are getting all your question answered.

Definitely a great place to learn and share. Especially from a location where torts are not a very common companion.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

I'm sorry, but auto correct really had it out for this one :p;)