My First Tortoise Table! (criticism welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I like the wood you used. If it were me I'd stain the outside and water proof it with something on the inside. Also, I'd put some more plants (real or fake) to act as hides in there.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
spikethebest said:
i think it looks great. one thing though.... is the light too high up? what are the temps like?

Agreed, the bulb looks high! Also, if its a MVB (mercury vapor bulb), they should really be perpendicular to the ground for maximum bulb life. It would be perpendicular if the fixture were to just hang by the cord.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It looks good. I lined Dales with painters plastic so when I wet the substrate it doesn't ruin the wood. Do you have a heat emitter or what are you using for heat? You could add some plants if you wanted to just be careful what kind. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It looks nicely made, although without some sort of good liner or heavy coating, it is going to rot or mildew in there pretty quickly, unless it is treated lumber- and it does not look like it to me.

When it is time to build your next, bigger, one, think about longer and lower so you can reach into it easier.

Controlling humidity and temps are awkward in a design like that for most of us. You can consider using PVC or something to make a 'tent' of clear plastic over the whole thing to retain humidity and heat- especially in the winter.

Plants or something of interest to the tort would be nice. It would enjoy places to explore, hiding options, etc.

In my own opinion, the water dish should be replaced with something like a glazed plant saucer or paint roller tray big and deep enough to let the tort soak 1/2 way down in it, and placed so it is level with the substrate.

its a nice table, but there is always room for improvement!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have that same hide in my tort table and I keep it away from the edges because they like to climb on it and if it is close to a wall the could get wedged in between. Also maybe some rocks to climb on and bask on.
It is cool that you built it. I don't know how to work with wood so I used a book shelf. :)

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
Here some improvements I have made over the past few days:
-I put a collard green plant in his enclosure and some grass.
-Figured out away to put the heat lamp directly over the enclosure
-I added another hide for him, its a gardening pot
-I am in the processes of getting rocks to put in his enclosure.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
NICE JOB!!!!!!!SPRAY THE MULCH WITH A MISTER A COUPLE OF TIMES A WEEK.THIS WILL GIVE THEM A BIT OF MOISTURE AND WONT DRY OUT THE BEDDING.

EMAIL TO ORDER YOUR FRESH MAZURI-----PAYPAL APPROVED-----FREE SHIPPING

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Very cool! The more hides/plants the better...think rain forest floor. They also tend to do better without the bright light. I agree to try a different water dish that is slightly larger & deeper. You will need to cover it or similar to keep up the humidity. Is the substrate directly in contact with the wood? Or, did you use a plastic liner? I would have both sealed the wood and used a plastic shower curtain, shower pan, or pond liner. You can use a piece of plexiglas to cover part of it to keep up the humidity. Some people like to make one hide that is more humid than the others too. Make sure you keep the food away from the substrate such as putting it on a slate tile (wears down the beak & nails and only $2). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.