What breed are my tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisesincyprus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Cyprus
Hi all

I posted in the newbie area - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Newbie-in-Cyprus-adopted-2-baby-turtles-today

but I thought I should post here as well.

Can anyone tell me what breed my tortoises are?

Other photos here if that one doesn't work - http://www.flickr.com/photos/66426146@N07/6049065950/in/photostream/

Also, is it ok to keep them outside in a small pen or do they need to be inside for a while?

Thanks

Julie

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
My guess: Greek. However I'm far from expert. (Though they share a number of characteristics with my Greeks.)

tortoisesincyprus

5 Year Member
North Cyprus
I'm in Cyprus so they could certainly be Greek. The adult ones looked quite like the Google images photos of Greek tortoises but then all tortoises (Greek, Hermann, Horsefield etc.) look the same to me at the moment! I'm so new to all this!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would say those look like greeks to me, we will have to wait for an expert to decide which greeks they are,very nice looking tortoise BTW.

tortoisesincyprus

5 Year Member
North Cyprus
Thanks so much everyone. I'll be able to do some more specific research now. I've made a little enclosure for them and they are outside enjoying the nice weather. I bring them inside at night though while they are still small. I had a very shallow dish (the base of a plant pot) in the enclosure which I was going to put water in but one of the torts keeps flipping over on his back every time he walks into it so I've just taken the dish out for now until they get a bit bigger. I'll post an update soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.