Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi pcw:

Welcome to the forum! I personally can't help with the sub-species, however, you have a little girl!

pcw_phoenix

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi pcw:

Welcome to the forum! I personally can't help with the sub-species, however, you have a little girl!

Really? because when i bought it from the store..(was a trade in) it was labeled as a boy.....I also found a black Greek tortoises(is there such thing as black?!?!?) a boy..so i guess i'll go buy that boy...

Thanks

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
A black greek is just a label for someone who doesn't know what the subspecies is. I have 4 "black greeks." Three of them are Jordanian greeks and one is a Turkish ibera. I'm not sure about yours. A couple folks are great at ID'ing little ones - they should be along soon enough :)

pcw_phoenix

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
I agree :) female T.g.ibera

Danny

How can you tell? Also, i saw a male Greek Tortoises for sale..it's still a juvi...with a pyramiding on his shells...it's shell is like Almost 80-90% black in colour..is that a sub-spec as well? or is it a ibera too?

Thanks

J

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
"Black" Greeks just have more melanine in their pigments than "normals"...the more melanine, the darker they'll be.

Some folks breed "blacks" to "blacks" (and "golds" to "golds", for that matter) to reinforce this genetic trait. If you breed a "black" to a "normal", you might get two (or more, depending on each parent's ancestry) colors per clutch. If you breed a black to a gold, you might get all three in a given clutch...Mendelian genetics in action! ;)

main.php

"Normal"

41_25d27d40c165b27bad3563db51760b0c.jpg

"Black"

GoldenGreekTortoise001.JPG

"Gold"

Even within these "categories", there's a lot of variation in their coloring...the "Black" and "Gold" examples are kinda at the extreme ends of the spectrum...

Nice looking little girl...my male, Ptolemy, would probably love to whisper sweet talkin' in her ears... :cool:

pcw_phoenix

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
"Black" Greeks just have more melanine in their pigments than "normals"...the more melanine, the darker they'll be.

Some folks breed "blacks" to "blacks" (and "golds" to "golds", for that matter) to reinforce this genetic trait. If you breed a "black" to a "normal", you might get two (or more, depending on each parent's ancestry) colors per clutch. If you breed a black to a gold, you might get all three in a given clutch...Mendelian genetics in action! ;)

main.php

"Normal"

"Black"

"Gold"

Even within these "categories", there's a lot of variation in their coloring...the "Black" and "Gold" examples are kinda at the extreme ends of the spectrum...

Nice looking little girl...my male, Ptolemy, would probably love to whisper sweet talkin' in her ears... :cool:

Thanks for the info..also...a pyramided tortoises...would you breed it..?!?!?the black greek i saw at the petshop..it's still young..i would say a bit smaller then the girl i have..and his shells are not smooth..some serious pyramiding going on..

thanks

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pcw_phoenix said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

main.php

"Normal"

"Black"

"Gold"

Thanks for the info..also...a pyramided tortoises...would you breed it..?!?!?the black greek i saw at the petshop..it's still young..i would say a bit smaller then the girl i have..and his shells are not smooth..some serious pyramiding going on..

thanks

Possibly, as long as it's health is otherwise OK...pyramidding is not always a death sentence for the tortoise, only if it very severe. Is it possible to post a pic here or take the tortoise to a competent vet for assessment?

My Hermann's mother is from a small group that are all very pyramidded (as bad as in pic), but their health is otherwise excellent, and each lays a couple of clutches a year.

main_Turbo-Pyramiding1.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Neither one is a T.g.ibera. The dark on is a Jordanian greek, T.g.ssp (undescribed subspecies). The light colored one is either a Syrian greek, T.g.terrestris or a cross of Syrian greek and a Golden greek.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.