My hermann tortoise don't seem interested in most food

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsking12

5 Year Member
Hi, Stanley my hermann tortoise don't seem to be eating as much as he used to. Last summer he would have had most weeds. But this year he has been really fussy. Just seems he have gone off his food. He walk towards the food have a couple of mouth fulls walk all over the food then goes off. Sometimes back to his hiding place. But he do enjoy romaine lettuce.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Take a faecal sample to a vet and get it checked for worms.

Check your temperatures again: warm side, cool side, under the basking and nighttime minimum

Soak daily, first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly and feed straight after.

Don't offer treats out of desperation.... a hungry tort will eat.

If you are giving vitamin supplements, how often? Excess vitamin D surpresses apetite for example.

newsking12

5 Year Member
I will do the thing want you say, I think I'm giving him too much vitamin supplement. What do you use to wet the enclosure? I use a spay bottle. Thanks

Hybrid

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Take a faecal sample to a vet and get it checked for worms.

Check your temperatures again: warm side, cool side, under the basking and nighttime minimum

Soak daily, first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly and feed straight after.

Don't offer treats out of desperation.... a hungry tort will eat.

If you are giving vitamin supplements, how often? Excess vitamin D surpresses apetite for example.

Thanks JM for the advises.

I have few other question that related to your suggestions, if I may;
1 - What are your suggested temperature for all the side?
2 - If I don't have vet that capable in handling tortoise, such as to check for worm in his poop, what is the alternative that I have?

Thank you very much in advance!

newsking12

5 Year Member
Hi, I've taken Stanley to the vets, they did worm him and given him some antibiotic. The vets gave me some more to give him plus some reptoboost to put in the bath water. I got to see how he is in 2 weeks, if no improvement then they will do blood tests. He just seem the same to me, he have eat some food, but all he wants to do is go under his hind away.

Status
Not open for further replies.