Hermann tortoise

Linzi Marriott

Hi I have a 5 year old Hermann tortoise he's always lived inside. For the last 2-3 days he's hid under his bedding, he never does this. He's gone off his food and drink for the last week. Is he hibernating ?? Is it the right time of the year to hibernate. He's never done it before. What do I do ?? Thanks in advance xx

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Linzi, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Can you show us pics of his set up and enclosure?
Has anything else changed recently?
I doubt he's trying to hibernate, but where do you live?
( country or state, i'm not asking for your address!!! )
And what are his temperatures : hot side, cool side, basking spot, night time?

Linzi Marriott

Hi,
Thank you.
No nothing's changed.
I love in Derbyshire in England.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well, it's the wrong time of year for hibernation, by months, so he shouldn't be trying that.
He's a big guy now, so maybe the enclosure's too small for him.
It should be 4' by 8' minimum, really.
Does he get outdoor time at all, when your English weather's nice?
I would also say that the substrate looks too dry. Do you know your humidity?
You would be better off with coco coir, cypress mulch, orchid bark or a decent quality top soil (if you know it's safe). And keep it damp but not wet.
What about the light, red lights, if that's what is is, are not so good, especially at night. Torts need darkness to sleep properly.
he needs soaking a couple of times a week and access to water at all times, as you probably know.
A terracotta saucer sunk into the substrate works best.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/hermanns-tortoises.80/
for lots more good info.
Sorry if it all sounds a bit negative and if I've told you what you're already doing, but like you, I'm concerned for the lovely little tortoise.
oh, and don't use coiled bulbs, if that's what you've got.
Sorry.

Linzi Marriott

No thank you for all your help. I've just bin using what the pet shop I got him from told me too. This is also the biggest tank they sell and said I wouldn't need another. I will do some shopping around. Thanks again much appreciated

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Pleasure.
look at the care sheet.
i'm rather afraid that many pet shops a) don't know what they're talking about.
and b) are trying to sell you something you don't necessarily need.
it is often better to make your own enclosure.
Bookshelves with the shelves knocked out are often a good starting point.
Have a peek at the Enclosures section here as well, for some great ideas.
Please ask if you have any further questions.

Linzi Marriott

What age do they normally hibernate ?? Pet shop told me when he's 5. And what do I do ?? Just asking so I can prepare myself. Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It is possible to hibernate (or brumate, technically) your tortoise before 5, but many do not advise this.
I personally have not hibernated my 5 year old yet, but may do this winter.
i'm actually terrified of this, probably without cause, and am also checking what to do.
Someone with experience would be better than me for this question, so wait a bit, or check elsewhere on the forum.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

I don't really think it's the right time for hibernation even if you live in rhe U.K. where it's relatively cold.How about reading caresheets? That could help, and good luck.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
This is not hibernation and it's dangerous to think so, so it's good you're concerned. His environment isn't suiting him.

A tortoise that is too cold OR too hot will hide & not eat. Bad bulbs or bulb problems produce the same result. Red bulbs should not be used at all. Uvb bulbs get old and stop outputting. A tortoise seeking moisture will burrow.

I'll repeat some important things that have been said already, & perhaps amplify. Pet stores give out misinformation. Following their advice can be deadly. That substrate is wrong. He needs one that holds moisture. Fix that right away.

Sometimes it's a combination of small things, sometimes it's one single element. Often it seems like everything is just right until suddenly it isn't, but it's just taken that long to reach the tipping point.

Read the care sheet. Remember that many of us started out taking bad advice and making mistakes. We keep learning and improving our tortoises' lives.