My little Horsfield "Humf"- need advice !

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinknel

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I need some advice on my Horsfield tort. He's 8 years old approx 6" long & weighs approx 500g. He has an indoor enclosure 30c at the warmest end 25c in the centre and 17/20c in the coolest. He has a heat lamp and a UVA/B light. I've had him since Jan 12 and when he first came he was REALLY active, now all he does is go in his cooler end and sleep! I get him up and bath him for 20/30 mins in warm water every other day and he'll eat a bunch of dandelion leaves/spinach/kale/sprouts sprinkled with cuttlefish then go back to bed ? Is that normal? When I wake him he seems fine but I have to wake him all the time? He sometimes goes in an outside enclosure on warm days and is really active out there but I'm worried I'm doing something wrong .... Please advise me you guys ?! From a very anxious tortie mum :/ In cold rainy UK !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi pinknel:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your post serves to prove that tortoises are much better off outside. Yes, he is "living" breathing, eating, but just existing. Try to get him outside as much as possible. They come from a climate that is on the cooler side, so it doesn't have to be hot, or nice, sunny days for him to be put outside. If its not raining, put him out.

May we know your name?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from another soaked Brit :)

What temperature do you have under your basking lamp? You need 35C under that.

Does your tort have plenty of bright light? I've had the house lights on just for me during the day... the weather in the UK is so awful at the moment that it's not very bright. Think about it. If you go to the cinema, the darkness can make you sleepy even in the middle of the day... it's the same for your tort.

Your tort needs UVB if it's kept entirely indoors. Do you have a UVB lamp? If so, what kind? If you can get Humf outside, even for an hour or so, when he's warmed up he'll benefit from UVB even on cloudy days. Unfortunately UVB can pass through clouds, but not through walls and windows.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! :D Interesting tortoise name. :D How did you happen to get him in the first place?

pinknel

5 Year Member
RE: My little Horsfield "Humf"- need advice !

JoesMum said:
Hello and welcome from another soaked Brit :)

What temperature do you have under your basking lamp? You need 35C under that.

Does your tort have plenty of bright light? I've had the house lights on just for me during the day... the weather in the UK is so awful at the moment that it's not very bright. Think about it. If you go to the cinema, the darkness can make you sleepy even in the middle of the day... it's the same for your tort.

Your tort needs UVB if it's kept entirely indoors. Do you have a UVB lamp? If so, what kind? If you can get Humf outside, even for an hour or so, when he's warmed up he'll benefit from UVB even on cloudy days. Unfortunately UVB can pass through clouds, but not through walls and windows.

Hi yeah he's got a UVA/B light plus a basking lamp which is 30c so I need to get that sorted then. I can put him outside as one side of his run is covered at one end with plastic but would he know to go under there in the rain? I do worry about him in the draughts. It's funny as since I asked for advice on here, he's woken himself up and popped himself under his basking light everyday ! Little tyke :D

pinknel

5 Year Member

Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! :D Interesting tortoise name. :D How did you happen to get him in the first place?

Hi it's a sad but happy story as my father passed away suddenly at Xmas and I decided life was too short and I would strive to have all the things I always wanted and a tortie was one of them ! so I have him in memory of my father.... I miss my father dearly but little Humf makes me smile every day. My little girl named him Humf as he's a Horsfield his name had to begin with H :D ......

pinknel

5 Year Member

mctlong said:
Welcome!
Love the name. :)

Thanks !!! He's adorable I just want to make sure he's happy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.