My little redfoot isn't being active like normal (might just be overly worried pet parent)

vargasmelissa

5 Year Member
So Donnatello has been resting and sleeping a lot the past few days which is making me worried. He is usually very active and happy recently he has been just sitting in the corner and sleeping/sulking?. Two things to keep in mind we just "moved" temporarily to my parents house because of an internship I have this summer at a local emergency vet clinic. He seemed fine at first with the whole transition acting normal ect I put him on one of the warmer parts of the house that gets morning sun which he likes to bask in temperatures are normally range from a high of 90ish in his hot/basking area and lower 80's in his cooler side. I also recently changed his substrate his other was very dirty and smelly and really needed changed. I switched to a suggested cypress bark but kept and thoroughly rinsed some of his repti-bark that he had before. He seemed fine with the change at first and was thoroughly interested in his new surroundings. He has now made himself a little "hole" that he dug out in the side and spends most of his time there eating little food except what he needs or unless I hand feed him or unless there is fruit available. He is still drinking and seems in relatively good health except for not wanting to do anything. Am I jut being nervous and he is trying to get used to new substrate?? Or should I actually be worried?
I am still new to this whole tortoise raising thing I only got him in February and he is about 4.5 inches long.
thanks for any help that can be given I really don't know what i would do without this forum!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises are very sensitive to change. As long as your other parameters are good and he was fine before, don't worry too much. Mine don't like temps above 85. See if you can make it a little cooler.