My little Russian group... with pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I can't believe it has been so long since I last posted on here. Life has been so busy (in a good way) that there just hasn't been time. Here are my 5 Russian tortoises - 4 females and 1 male.
Russians2.JPG
They have been spending all Summer outside, night and day, unless it rains heavily. They get pretty grubby... this pic is of Lady after digging in for 2 weeks during the hottest time we had in July.
Lady.JPG
In the Spring I seeded out a good tortoise seed mix, and so the tortoises have been able to graze all Summer. I also have several perennials growing in their enclosure, and some shrubs. At this point, I am having to bring them some food from the garden or the fields, since they have grazed down most of the weeds.
Jill3.JPG
Sometimes I get them out of the tortoise garden and let them graze the lawn. Jill always heads straight for the clover patch, and bites off every clover flower she can find.
Jill4.JPG
Last Spring I had to separate Jill from the others, because the bigger females kept bullying her and she stopped eating. After a few months of separation, I have re-introduced her to the others, and things are going great. Because she is the smallest, I feed her some extra treats sometimes(hibiscus flowers is about as adventurous as that gets). She loves them!
Jill1.JPGJill2.JPGJill5.JPG

There. Now nobody can complain that I'm never on here anymore... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
The tortoise garden is 5ft x 30ft. As soon as I finished it, I wished I had built it bigger... *sigh* I will expand it more next year. :)

Here's a quick pic - I've made some changes since June, but have been too busy to take a new pic.
Tortoise garden 1.JPG

Mrturtle527 said:
So cute! How much space outside do you have for them?

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
biochemnerd808 said:
The tortoise garden is 5ft x 30ft. As soon as I finished it, I wished I had built it bigger... *sigh* I will expand it more next year. :)

Here's a quick pic - I've made some changes since June, but have been too busy to take a new pic.

Mrturtle527 said:
So cute! How much space outside do you have for them?

Bigger?! I wish I could have one that big! It looks great.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
Awesome! Mine is currently around 5x6 but It only holds one right now ;). I know I have a boy (mr t) and not sure what baby t is yet. I'd love to allow them outdoors full time but will need it bigger since I have more then 1.

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.