Russian Group update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
It's been a busy summer so I haven't gotten much of a chance to post since spring. Just thought I would update on my breeding group of Russians. They have gotten some outdoor time this summer, but unfortunately many of my days off have been accompanied by rain. I tried changing up the group, so that I had four females in my large russian enclosure, and the male separate except for 'visits'. The fourth female, who is still relatively young (though quite big at about 7" scl) didn't enjoy sharing space with the other females, so after a couple of months in the trial run I decided that for the time being it is better off to keep the 1.3 group together and the other female separate. Everyone's feeding and breeding habits have gone back to normal and I guess I shouldn't mess with success... at least not yet.

Speaking of success, they have been breeding and laying eggs in the new enclosure (a 6'x30"x12" enclosure made from a book case with a 36"x24"x8" concrete mixing bin laid into the floor under the basking end for burrowing and nesting). Unfortunately, my attempts at incubating seem to still be a little lack luster. To date I have only hatched 8 out of dozens and dozens of eggs, so if anyone has any successful tips, let me know. I am quite certain it has something to do with humidity but I don't know how to approach it best. I now have a waiting list of people eager to buy my CB tortoises (mostly people that are already familiar with me and what I do), so it would be nice if I could get them to hatch a bit more regularly.

Just checking in. I've been working a lot between working for my father, teaching about 24 percussion students, playing gigs, building a deck, and dealing with some long-term health problems that have made doing all those things just a bit more difficult. I get to take a brief camping trip with my fiancee to the adirondacks next week, so that will be well-deserved. Unfortunately I have to start student teaching a short time after that though.

So what have I missed since I've been away?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ryan:

Good to see you back, and congrats on all the breeding activity! I expect to see lots of little babies for sale in the future!

As far as missing anything...we didn't stand still while you were off galavanting around. Lots of new folks and missing some old folks. A few arguments and plenty of spammers! But you'll just have to go through the archives for yourself and get caught up!!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Ryan:

Good to see you back, and congrats on all the breeding activity! I expect to see lots of little babies for sale in the future!

As far as missing anything...we didn't stand still while you were off galavanting around. Lots of new folks and missing some old folks. A few arguments and plenty of spammers! But you'll just have to go through the archives for yourself and get caught up!!

Ha, yeah. I'll have to look around and figure out what's been happening in the past few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.