1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Russian Breeding Group

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by ohio, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ohio

ohio Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    NEOhio
    I've finally got my Russian breeding group witch consists of two males and six females. This is a thread I will visit over the years as I attempted to establish a viable breeding group. My effort to help stop the imports of wild caught animals by providing captive breed hatchlings. I know I went about getting my pets totally the wrong way. Yes I got them all through Craigslist as unwanted pets. I feel at least these eight will have a good home for the rest of there lifetime, or should I say my lifetime. Lol. I will keep updating as time goes by to show my progress and theirs.
    Males:
    Zavago 14cm
    Bill Murray 13.5cm
    Females:
    Nadia 16cm
    Annahita 12.5cm
    Kira 14.5cm
    Samantha 16cm
    Malina 15.5cm
    Matilda 12.5cm
    Will update with pics of enclosures as time goes by.
    Any input on being successful would be greatly appreciated if insure I do this correct.
    Kasia and wellington like this.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I love your idea, your stated goal, and fully support your efforts. I don't think there is anything wrong with how you acquired them all as long as some quarantine and a little sense was applied, and I'll bet this was the case, knowing what I've seen of your other posts.

One thing I've seen with many species, and especially russians, is that they don't like moving and they take a lot of time to get used to their new environment. You might go years with no eggs or babies. Or you might get babies the first year you put them together. It can be maddening and frustrating. Two people can do things almost identically, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I wish you the best of luck and hope for much success for you.
    Kasia likes this.
  3. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Good luck and have fun ! IMG_2304.jpg
    Kaeloni and Kasia like this.
  4. ohio

ohio Active Member

NEOhio
    Thanks for the input have new torts in quarantine as well as the ones that were at the vet. Had to get more lights etc. If everyone has a clean bill of health hope to get them all together in July. Wanting them to pro create but understand it's a game of patience and creating the correct environment for them. I figure I have a few years before the girls are big enough and like you said comfortable in their home.

Nice picture Grampa turtle 144. Was working on the outdoor enclosure yesterday, was in the 60's, tonight expecting 6 inches of snow. lol Northeast Ohio.
  5. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Thank god I live in Phx. Az no snow !
  6. helosoldier66

helosoldier66 Member

Southern Alabama
    I recently acquired the same numbers and sexes of Russians and they are in an outdoor enclosure. Let me know how yours are doing. I put the last and largest female in yesterday and the largest male was courting but she didn't seem interested. He gave up and walked away and she followed doing some head bobbing and eye blinking so only time will tell. I'm not sure what the Russian mating dance looks like and haven't found a description yet.
  7. Carol S

Carol S Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Alta Loma, CA
    If you have more than one male in the enclosure make sure that they do not fight. Sometimes more than one male in a large enough enclosure will get along fine and other times they will fight.