My name is Barbie. I have a tortoise names Shelby.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Beautiful tortoise.
Make sure you keep up with the soaks and get a good humidity.
He looks a little dry.

BarbieP

Maine, USA
Beautiful tortoise.
Make sure you keep up with the soaks and get a good humidity.
He looks a little dry.
Soaks? This is the first I have heard of those? What do I do for that? I really am hating this pet shop right now. I asked them a million questions, Even if I should get anything for him to sit in water and was told nope he doesn't need anything more them to drink.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You need to soak your tortoise two or three times a week, maybe daily to begin to get him properly hydrated.
Get a high sided plastic container that he can't see through or out of, fill it with water to just over the level where the plastron meets the carapace and place the tortoise in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
He maybe won't like it to begin and may appear stressed, but it is necessary for him.
You will probably find that he poops and pees in the water, but that's fine, you can always change it.
You can sprinkle water over his head and shell and gently rub him clean.
Some use a soft toothbrush to gently rub the tortoise clean, but be careful of the sensitive new growth between the scutes.

BarbieP

Maine, USA
You need to soak your tortoise two or three times a week, maybe daily to begin to get him properly hydrated.
Get a high sided plastic container that he can't see through or out of, fill it with water to just over the level where the plastron meets the carapace and place the tortoise in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
He maybe won't like it to begin and may appear stressed, but it is necessary for him.
You will probably find that he poops and pees in the water, but that's fine, you can always change it.
You can sprinkle water over his head and shell and gently rub him clean.
Some use a soft toothbrush to gently rub the tortoise clean, but be careful of the sensitive new growth between the scutes.
Thank you so much!! The more I am in this forum the more I am learning. I will get him soaked today!

BarbieP

Maine, USA
Hi again everyone. This is a picture of what I have done to Shelby's habitat. I know that it is not ideal at the moment as far as size. I have the humidity at about 68% and the temp is at about 87. I have also been giving her soaks since someone mentioned she looked a bit dry. I did buy some moss to put in there but I am unsure if I should since the humidity is already at 68%. What do you think? She still isn't eating the greatest although she does like the hostas and petunias I have given her. She also seemed to like the greens off the strawberries that I fed my grandson for lunch. Shelby doesn't seem to like the dried food that the pet store sold me at all. I am going to have to figure out what to feed her this winter since plants are a bit tough in Maine in the winter.

I am planning to make a bigger habitat. I just need to figure out how to do that so that my 6 year old Autistic son can still watch her through some glass or something. He is totally fascinated by Shelby. We have even been able to get him to say "turtle". Pretty good for a child that only has about 30 - 50 words total! :) He really seems to have come out of his shell (pun intended) with this tortoise. Who knew! I would have gotten one years ago if I knew it would peek his interest like this! If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Attachments

• Shelby's habitat.jpg
    Shelby's habitat.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 6

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hiya, Barbara.
Basking spot temperature needs to be 95 to 100°F.
Her body temperature needs to be at 85° or so to digest food and want to eat.
The moss will be fine if you wish to use it.
Try more broad leafed greens like dandelion, prickly lettuce or thistle.
Prickly pear pads, stripped of spines are also a healthy favourite.
Use a cheap, shallow, terracotta saucer, sunk into the substrate, big enough to soak in for water and a piece of slate or sandstone to put the food on as this will help keep the beak trimmed too.
Cuttlefish bone is good for this, too, and for providing calcium, if it isn't touched, scrape a little onto the food a couple of times a week.
Digital temperature gauges and hygrometers are better and should be at substrate leve to give a correct reading.
Hope this helps.

BarbieP

Maine, USA
Hiya, Barbara.
Basking spot temperature needs to be 95 to 100°F.
Her body temperature needs to be at 85° or so to digest food and want to eat.
The moss will be fine if you wish to use it.
Try more broad leafed greens like dandelion, prickly lettuce or thistle.
Prickly pear pads, stripped of spines are also a healthy favourite.
Use a cheap, shallow, terracotta saucer, sunk into the substrate, big enough to soak in for water and a piece of slate or sandstone to put the food on as this will help keep the beak trimmed too.
Cuttlefish bone is good for this, too, and for providing calcium, if it isn't touched, scrape a little onto the food a couple of times a week.
Digital temperature gauges and hygrometers are better and should be at substrate leve to give a correct reading.
Hope this helps.
Thank you!! I have a 100 watt heat bulb going now. Any suggestions on how to make it hotter in there? I do have a terracotta saucer in there that I picked up today. I am going to have to figure out where to get the prickly pear pads and other greens. I will send my kids out to pick some dandelion when they are done with homework. Thank you!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you!! I have a 100 watt heat bulb going now. Any suggestions on how to make it hotter in there? I do have a terracotta saucer in there that I picked up today. I am going to have to figure out where to get the prickly pear pads and other greens. I will send my kids out to pick some dandelion when they are done with homework. Thank you!!
be careful that the dandies or other greens come from a place that is fertilzer, pesticide and herbicide free and wash them before feeding.
Lower the lamp (within safety margins) to increase the temp.
I use an mvb (mercury vapour bulb) for heat, light and uvb, all in one and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), connected to a thermostat, for night time when necessary.
You can use the CHE in the day too, if you need help raising the temps.

BarbieP

Maine, USA
be careful that the dandies or other greens come from a place that is fertilzer, pesticide and herbicide free and wash them before feeding.
Lower the lamp (within safety margins) to increase the temp.
I use an mvb (mercury vapour bulb) for heat, light and uvb, all in one and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), connected to a thermostat, for night time when necessary.
You can use the CHE in the day too, if you need help raising the temps.[/QUOTE
I just took the temp directly on the rock. It is 110. Is that to hot now?. Thank you for all your help. We don't fertilize our lawn or use any chemicals. So they should be ok. I will make sure to wash them though good. Have you ever heard of anyone freezing greens and then using them through out the winter? Was just a thought that I had.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Maybe a little hot, you might have to raise the lamp just a tad, instead !
I freeze dandelions for use in the winter here and even the summer as it gets so hot that everything dies.
But some other things go to mush.
Experiment !

BarbieP

Maine, USA
Maybe a little hot, you might have to raise the lamp just a tad, instead !
I freeze dandelions for use in the winter here and even the summer as it gets so hot that everything dies.
But some other things go to mush.
Experiment !
Awesome thank you VERY much!!!