My New Babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle52988

5 Year Member
Hello All, I am writing to share some pictures with you of my new lil sulcatas! They are currently sharing a home with my russian, I know some say dont mix breeds, however they are inseperable! and absolutely love eachother, This is their temp. home for the winter =) Enjoy.

Picture 015.jpgPicture 014.jpgPicture 016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
They are good looking.

It is not so much the question of mixing breeds it is 110% quarantine for your situation. Your Russian doesn't need the heat that the Sulcata does.

Check both forums and read some more. Our EJ has a great book on Russian Torts. You can find it at your pet store.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're putting human emotions on animals. I truly doubt that your Russian loves your sulcatas and vice versa. They will tolerate each other, but "love?" I doubt it.

Its been already mentioned, but you should always quarantine new tortoises before adding them to an existing group. Especially when one type is Russian. The Russian tortoises come into this country in extremely bad conditions. There are thousands of them all piled up on each other and they're covered in poo and some of them dead. Because of these conditions, they usually are loaded with parasites.

So, #1 - quarantine
#2 - Which has also been mentioned above, they require different care. The sulcata needs a more humid environment in order to grow smooth shells. Also, sulcatas are grass-eaters, while the Russians will nibble occasionally on grass, they mainly eat broad-leaf weeds and plants. And while the Sulcata might, the Russian will not eat the hay that you have in the habitat.

#3 - size - the Sulcatas are already larger than the Russian. That means that the smaller tortoise might not be getting his share of the food. You don't always physically see bullying. Animals communicate mentally or by a look. The larger tortoise will tell the smaller tortoise to get out of the territory. The smaller tortoise, having nowhere to go, will sometimes just sit in a corner, stay buried and not eat.

If at some time down the road one or more of your tortoises gets sick enough for you to take them to a vet, be sure to mention that you have mixed the species. It takes a while for the problem to show up.

I appreciate that you shared your pictures with us. Your animals are very nice looking tortoises.

Please don't think that we're picking on you. Now that you have your tortoises mixed together, we hope you'll stay here and get to know us better. We'd certainly love to know you better and hear your tortoise stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.