My new baby :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute, congrats. Now lets get him set up in a good way. He was kept way too dry from the person you got him from and has some serious pyramiding starting already. I would change your substrate out for coconut coir, get the humidity up to 80% with the ambient and night temps at 80. Basking spot 95-100. Soak him everyday for 20-30 minutes and get a plant saucer for a water dish, that he can get into and out of on his own. The one in the pic is not that good. Please read the threads of Toms at the bottom of my post, set him up as described in the post and above and you will be able to get that cutie to start growing in smooth new growth.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Have you read up on how to care for leopard hatchlings? Heres a few links on the ideal way to care for them:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Begi...z1y6gfMklV

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-...z1y6gfMklV

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-...z1y6gfMklV

Ideally they need humidity of 80% and I notice your using a substrate than cant be easily moistened, coco coir, cypress mulch, or soil are good to use as they can be soaked :) also, fruit and veggies should be fed sparingly as they should have a diet of mostly weeds and grasses.

Good looking tort though!! :)

- - -

great minds think alike Wellington ;)

Jadeybaby

5 Year Member
Ok thank you so much....I actually brought him from an aquarium and judging by everybody else's advice they're rubbish!!!! I am starting to bath him tomorrow morning as I was unaware they need this until this evening....I just wondered how warm the water should be?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Luke warm water, not hot and don't let the water go cold. For a baby you should be soaking for 30 mins every day. Soaking helps to clean them and they also soak up water too. Your baby will probably poop in the water too, which will keep the enclosure clean. Where abouts are you from? Do you have sunshine at the moment? If so try and get him outside as much as possible.

Jadeybaby

5 Year Member
I'm from the UK so unfortunately the sun shine isn't great! At the moment it's anything from 2-5 degrees so taking him outside isnt an option. I will start bathing him this morning. And will buy the substrate today....thank you :) x

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Oh, ha, yeah the weather's no where near warm enough yet! He'd get sick if you brought him out now. Pets at Home do coco coir if there's one near you. If you make the substrate 5-6 inches deep your tort can dig to adjust his body temps. I imagine coco coir to be comfier than wood chip too. I know I wouldn't want to lie on wood :p

Just a note of caution though. When your using humidity you MUST keep the enclosure warm enough or he'll get sick. Don't let it drop below 28oc.

Status
Not open for further replies.