New Baby Leopard!!

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Just wanted to show my new baby leopard I got at the reptile show today. All the babys eyes were closed and housed with sulcatas on alfalfa pellets :( gave him a soak...he opened his eyes and came out of his shell :)

Attachments

• 1429989176606.jpg
    1429989176606.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 83

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
He's gorgeous and obviously in safe hands now - hope all goes well for him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad this one will get raised correctly. Hopefully the others will too. He's a cutie for sure. Looks like he was thirsty too.
Congrats

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Thanks guys :) hopefully he turns out real smooth...have him in a storage container with peat moss cypress mulch with a glass top and a mvb :)

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Hes not doing too good guys. :( he wont keep his eyes open and shell feels soft im freaking out :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am so sorry to hear that and I hope someone can suggest something.

Killerrookie

Hes not doing too good guys. :( he wont keep his eyes open and shell feels soft im freaking out :(
This is what I would do, go to your shower put it as hot as you can and come back 3 mins later and it will be very foggy in the bathroom then turn the water to cold for a bit and then to a warm temps and put the tortoise in.
I would keep him near the uvb light and heat. If it gets worse I would recommend taking him to a vet as last resort.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

I'm sorry it's turning out this way.

Unfortunately, that's the gamble you took when you bought one from those conditions. Many leopards that are started that way won't make it despite your best efforts. It's not hatching failure syndrome rather "breeder failure syndrome" since the breeder failed to give them proper hydration.

Do the best you can. Provide a warm, damp environment, daily soaks, good food and good UV but remember that if/when this baby doesn't make it, IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.
Then next time get your leopard from someone who starts their babies differently.

I know it's tempting to get a cute little leopard when you see it on alfalfa pellets at an expo or in a pet store but more often than not you're buying a ticking time bomb. ..Unless the purchase$ isn't an issue and you have tough skin to endure the losses, I always suggest passing on those torts.

I'm sorry. I'd love to hear that your little guy beats the odds and overcomes the damage done. Out of 10 leopard hatchlings I dealt with (similar to your condition) 1 did make it....

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry to hear this. If he isn't eating, you can give baby food soaks. I have lost 2 to HFS. It stinks. Sending best wishes your way.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
This guy is going to break a world record in growth! Holy moly he's gotten so big so fast

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
He is only about an inch and a half long. My scale needs batterys. He has been eating a little bit and did poop yesterday. Today I seen him basking with his eyes open!!! Yesterday he showed all the signs of HFS or Breeders failure syndrome (except eating a little) and would not open his eyes unless he was in water

Bethany16

Philadelphia
Just wanted to show my new baby leopard I got at the reptile show today. All the babys eyes were closed and housed with sulcatas on alfalfa pellets :( gave him a soak...he opened his eyes and came out of his shell :)
Did it happen to be the Hamburg reptile show on the 25th?? Thats where i got my new Leopard hatchling :)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Congratulations on your new baby Leo. Perhaps you may, well if your already doing this just disregard this please, lol but I would soak him/her twice a day and also add some carrot baby food to the soak water, I don't see that it can hurt. There's no telling how it was kept by the breeder, I do know that hydration is so important for their well being. Hopefully things will take a turn for the better. And your baby will be living large and loving life soon

And by the way glad to hear things were a little better today. Good Luck to you both.

danipaul71

Omaha, Nebraska
Hi there! I just came across this thread, and am wondering if there's an update to this? How have things turned out??
I'm very much hoping for the better, but can't help but to wonder how the little guy's doing..