Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
What are u doing with the old once? I wont eat mine

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I eat them . They are not pets they are food . But I do enjoy them and I treat them as pets and let them live a happy life as possible till is there time to feed my family.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I once had chickens. I bought five little silkie bantams for show/pest control and lo and behold they were all roosters. I gave them away to a family friend who wanted to breed silkies. After 6 months of 24/7 crowing due to the sun never fully going down during the Alaskan summer we all wanted them gone...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: My new chick

RosieRedfoot said:
I once had chickens. I bought five little silkie bantams for show/pest control and lo and behold they were all roosters. I gave them away to a family friend who wanted to breed silkies. After 6 months of 24/7 crowing due to the sun never fully going down during the Alaskan summer we all wanted them gone...

Man I think thats the best part of having chickens is waking up to a rooster crowing .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I REALLY hope pepper is a hen, not a rooster! We got her for shows and the eggs, NOT to be woken up really early! Like I said earlier, I do NOT like really loud pets (kinda loud is ok but not really really loud)

Oh and also 4-h! I'm considering participating, but I'm not sure about it yet... If anyone has participated or has a kid who has participated can you pm me? I need a little more information than on the website

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Just some information on what they do at the meetings, how to participate at things at the fair (they are always at all the fairs I go to), and do they teach people to handle their animals better? I'm only asking this because whenever I go to the local county fairs I always see members showing their animals to judges for ribbons and such

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yes u have to get in touch with the board members of the fair. Usually u bring the pet like one day there before the show starts and then you can pick it up again after the fair is over

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'm sure they help you. Do you have an idea of what animal you would want to raise?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I have 5 chickens. 3 dogs, cats,fish and 2 sulcatas so im busy raising them all, and its wonderfull

what about you?

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I would want to raise chickens and rabbits for 4-h, since I alseady have a chicken and I've always wanted a bunny. And I already have 3 dogs, 2cats, a Russian tortoise, a mouse, and a chicken. I recently had a guinea pig, but she died a few days ago

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear. How old can they get? Was she sick

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
They can live to be anywhere from 5 to 7. She wasn't sick and has just gotten over a large cyst on her throat (after weeks of me having to put a little dropper down her throat for medicine, quite persistently I might add), I think like last year (?). I think she died from heatstroke, although her water bottle was almost full when I took her home (she died at the fair... :()... -sigh-

The people were really nice and supportive about it and the lady who ran the contest offered to buy me a new one when I'm ready (she was my first pet, besides fish and a kidnapped cat, to leave me. So it'll probably take me a while to grieve for her). I've gotten better since I lost her, though and I've realized that the new one will not be a replacement that I should resent for replacing her, but a new member of the family to make new memories with. If anyone has any suggestions about the matter, feel free to pm me... I don't want to gunk up the thread with sadness and stuff like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.