my new red footed tortoise sheldo

sheldo

Location (City and/or State)
hawaii
my new pet red footed tortoise named sheldo got his new house today. There is a problem though for some reason when I bring him to his inside home he always has his head popping out then back into his shell does anyone know why he does this?20230809_191856.jpg

sheldo

hawaii
for a tad bit more context when I said inside home I meant I have a outdoor area for him

zolasmum

5 Year Member
for a tad bit more context when I said inside home I meant I have a outdoor area for him
He is confused about being in a new place - tortoises often take a while to settle - sometimes a few weeks. Also, I see you have another thread about changing his enclosure -the one you have in the photo looks small and bare - when you sort it out, try to put in a few things to make it more interesting, and to block his view a bit from one end to the other. Also if you can cover up the glass a little way up the sides, it will make him feel safer.
And take the sand away - if he eats it, either on purpose or because it is stuck to his food ,he won't digest it - it will stay inside him and possibly cause a dangerous blockage.
Angie

sheldo

hawaii
He is confused about being in a new place - tortoises often take a while to settle - sometimes a few weeks. Also, I see you have another thread about changing his enclosure -the one you have in the photo looks small and bare - when you sort it out, try to put in a few things to make it more interesting, and to block his view a bit from one end to the other. Also if you can cover up the glass a little way up the sides, it will make him feel safer.
And take the sand away - if he eats it, either on purpose or because it is stuck to his food ,he won't digest it - it will stay inside him and possibly cause a dangerous blockage.
Angie
ok I will remove the sand I had no idea it could be that dangerous