My new redfoot, Bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Millz

5 Year Member
Hi all! I have written a thread in the introduction section regarding my new Redfoot tortoise but thought it may be better to direct my questions to the Redfoot specific board. We have had Bernie for 6 days now and he is quite shy. I have read that this is normal. He seems quite healthy otherwise but wants to hide frequently and he takes coaxing to eat or hang out in his water dish. When I put him in front of either, he will eat or hang out for a bit but always heads back to his hide area. Will he eventually become more bold and adventurous? Is this how your redfoot(s) behaved when they were new to your family? If so, how long until they were more comfortable? Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• image-2183878640.png
    image-2183878640.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 67

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Perfectly healthy...it took Tiago 10 days, but took big momma like 4days? really depends on your tortoise itself and if he feels the time is right...Afterall they dont like to be rushed....Slow...and...easy!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As much as you can, try not to 'hover' during this adjustment period. The more you get close to the tank, pick him up, reach inside, etc., the longer it takes to settle in.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
I got my red foot (who was 3 months old) just a month ago. He was rather shy, as to be expected. Even now he is still shy, but he is getting better. He isn't as quick to hide. He will continue to eat. He is getting less jumpy about a camera in his face. He knows when I tap the food tile with my fingers it is time to eat and comes running (well as much as he can run at least). But he is still shy and I think with time it will just get better. It has only been a month for what will be MANY years of his life to come with me. Plus I learned he LOVES squash/zuke blossoms, so I use those to get him more comfortable.

I also have a new cherry head (was 2 weeks old I think) that I got 2 weeks ago at most and he was rather bold to start and has shied up some. But I leave them alone most of the day. And as I said, there are MANY years to come so there is no rush to having them become comfortable in your presence. I am still trying to figure out my 2nd tortoise's favorite food.

Status
Not open for further replies.