New tortoise won't eat anything

Emilykkennedy

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno
I just got a new redfoot a few days ago and he won't eat anything, the temps were a bit cold outside so I brought him in but no luck, is it normal for a new tortoise to not eat??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sometimes takes a few days for them to acclimate. Right now all that's on his mind is getting back to his old territory. Also, you may not be offering him what he's used to seeing as 'food.' Can you ask his previous owner what they fed him?

Just a qyick note in case you don't already know - redfooted tortoises need to be kept warm day and night. It doesn't get cold where they evolved and they're not accustomed to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got a new redfoot a few days ago and he won't eat anything, the temps were a bit cold outside so I brought him in but no luck, is it normal for a new tortoise to not eat??
Are we talking about an adult? Do you have a heated shelter for it outside?

It is normal for a new tortoise to take a few days to adjust to new surroundings, but its not normal for them to not eat for several days if temperatures and conditions are correct.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just noticed you're in Fresno. I'm in Clovis, so I know what your weather is like. Your redfoot tortoise can't be outside yet it's too cold here. I keep yellow foot tortoises very similar to redfoot tortoises, and they're still inside in their winter quarters. I don't expect they'll be allowed outside or another month or so, and then only during the day.

Emilykkennedy

Fresno
I just noticed you're in Fresno. I'm in Clovis, so I know what your weather is like. Your redfoot tortoise can't be outside yet it's too cold here. I keep yellow foot tortoises very similar to redfoot tortoises, and they're still inside in their winter quarters. I don't expect they'll be allowed outside or another month or so, and then only during the day.
I have a heat lamp right above his cage that's on night and day on one side of his cage

Emilykkennedy

Fresno
Are we talking about an adult? Do you have a heated shelter for it outside?

It is normal for a new tortoise to take a few days to adjust to new surroundings, but its not normal for them to not eat for several days if temperatures and conditions are correct.
I'm not sure what his age is but he does look a bit smaller than the adults I've seen, he has a heated shelter

Emilykkennedy

Fresno
It sometimes takes a few days for them to acclimate. Right now all that's on his mind is getting back to his old territory. Also, you may not be offering him what he's used to seeing as 'food.' Can you ask his previous owner what they fed him?

Just a qyick note in case you don't already know - redfooted tortoises need to be kept warm day and night. It doesn't get cold where they evolved and they're not accustomed to it.
I'm feeding him exactly what his old owners fed him rn, he reaches over for it like he wants to eat it but won't take it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The temperature on one side of his cage is 98 and on the cooler side is 87
98 is far too warm. 87 is about the upper limit.

How cold did the tortoise get outside? If it was cold outside, it can mess them up for a while even after they warm up. This species generally doesn't fare well in CA due to the temperature extremes and excessive dryness of our climate. It takes a lot of time, effort and money to house one outside. You need sprinklers, misters, shade cloth in summer, and loads of heavy planting. In winter they need to be in large heated area kept at the correct tropical temperatures for them. They come from topical rainforests. Too hot, too cold, or too dry, is not good for them.

Red foot tortoises don't need a basking lamp. They need warm temps in the mid 80s all day, and low 80s at night. And it needs to be dark at night, so temps can be maintained by a CHE or radiant heat panel set on a thermostat.

Here is the correct care info:

Emilykkennedy

Fresno
98 is far too warm. 87 is about the upper limit.

How cold did the tortoise get outside? If it was cold outside, it can mess them up for a while even after they warm up. This species generally doesn't fare well in CA due to the temperature extremes and excessive dryness of our climate. It takes a lot of time, effort and money to house one outside. You need sprinklers, misters, shade cloth in summer, and loads of heavy planting. In winter they need to be in large heated area kept at the correct tropical temperatures for them. They come from topical rainforests. Too hot, too cold, or too dry, is not good for them.

Red foot tortoises don't need a basking lamp. They need warm temps in the mid 80s all day, and low 80s at night. And it needs to be dark at night, so temps can be maintained by a CHE or radiant heat panel set on a thermostat.

Here is the correct care info:
Alright thanks, I'll try and set all this up this week, we have sprinklers and on one side of his enclosure there is a blanket on top so he has shade and plenty of hides and we just ordered some tortoise safe plants yesterday, the weather should be going up soon until then we can keep him inside where the weather should be fine

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

87 is within the normal range.
98 is too earm for a Redfoot.
The entire enclosure needs to be between 80 and 86 in my opinion.
Maybe he's stressed because it's a bit too hot?

Emilykkennedy

Fresno

87 is within the normal range.
98 is too earm for a Redfoot.
The entire enclosure needs to be between 80 and 86 in my opinion.
Maybe he's stressed because it's a bit too hot?
Alright thank you, I will adjust the temps in the enclosure rn